U.S. Mother Arrested for Suspected Murder of 2-Year-Old Daughter
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 4, 2014 5:05 PM EST
A 40-year-old U.S. woman was arrested on Sunday August 3 after she was suspected for killing her child.
Jessica Smith from Goldendale, Washington is suspected for killing her toddler on Friday. The child was found dead at a coastal resort. Oregon police had a late-night press conference where it was informed to the reporters that Jessica was arrested in a car on a logging road 15 miles off the Cannon Beach resort. According to investigators, she did not possess any weapon. Nor did she appear to be injured. The authorities, on the other hand, refused to discuss if Jessica said anything regarding her child's death.
A giant American flag hangs from the West tower of the George Washington Bridge in between New York and New Jersey ahead of the U.S.-Germany 2014 World Cup Group G soccer match June 26, 2014.
Jessica's 2-year-old daughter Isabella was found dead at the beach resort. A housekeeper discovered her inside a room at the Surfsand Hotel. Jessica's 13-year-old daughter Alana was also found in the room. She was critically wounded with multiple stab wounds and cuts but might survive the injuries. She is admitted in a Portland hospital and found stable after being operated. Alana may be discharged within the next few days.
Investigators earlier failed to determine a reason behind Isabella's death. However, it was learned after an autopsy that it was a homicide. The toxicology results are still incomplete. Jessica's husband Greg, who is not a suspect of the alleged crime, is reportedly co-operating with police. He filed for a divorce with Jessica on June 30. However, Jessica filed a restraining order against Greg on July 17 but she was denied, according to court documents. The mother of two was supposed to hand the children over to Greg for visitation on the day they were discovered in the hotel room.
Greg apparently expressed his concern about the mental condition of Jessica. He also requested her to be psychologically evaluated before the court decided the custody of the children. If Jessica is convicted of aggravated murder, she might face the death penalty which is a legal punishment in Washington. Until February 2014, there are nine men who are on death row, as listed by the Washington State Department of Corrections.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Jealous, Duchess Only Good At Making Babies--- Report
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone