Alberta Mother Mocked for Stretch Marks; Hits Back on Facebook
By Smitha Nambiar | August 4, 2014 4:47 PM EST
Thirty-three-year-old Tani Jex Blake, mother of five, from Alberta, Canada, has written an open letter on Facebook, intended for the two men and a woman who mocked her for the stretch marks on her belly. The letter has gone viral, and has also made it to the headlines of all leading newspapers in Canada, and around the world.
People sunbath at Ostia beach.
Tani Jex Blake, from Alberta, was trying to sunbathe on Alberta Beach, when she overheard some people saying, "Oh my God, look at that, that's f***ing nasty, that's disgusting, look how gross that is," pointing at the heavy stretch marks on her belly. When she opened her eyes, she found two men and a woman looking and pointing their fingers on her. Blake's five little kids were playing on the beach when the incident took place. Though Blake ignored their comments, she was extremely hurt and cried bitterly on her way home.
It was the first time in 13 years that Blake had worn a bikini, and she had to go through such a humiliation. Depressed and hurt, Blake decided to strike back and wrote an open letter on her Facebook, only to be surprised later that her post had gone viral and had made it to the headlines.
Blake's post on Facebook read, "I'm sorry if my first attempt at sun tanning in a bikini in public in 13 years 'grossed you out.' I'm sorry that my stomach isn't flat and tight. I'm sorry that my belly is covered in stretch marks.
"I'm NOT sorry that my body has housed, grown, protected, birthed and nurtured FIVE fabulous, healthy, intelligent and wonderful human beings. I'm sorry if my 33 year old, 125 lb body offended you so much that you felt that pointing, laughing, and pretending to kick me. But I'll have you know that as I looked at your 'perfect' young bodies, I could only think to myself "what great and amazing feat has YOUR body done?"
"I'll also have you know that I held my head high, unflinching as you mocked me, pretending that what you said and did had no effect on me; but I cried in the car on the drive home.
"Thanks for ruining my day. It's people like you who make this world an ugly hateful place. I can't help but feel sorry for the women who will one day bear your children and become 'gross' in your eyes as their bodies change during the miraculous process of pregnancy. I can only hope that one day you'll realise that my battle scars is something to be proud of, not ashamed of." Blake has received tremendous support from people all over the world.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- Canada PM Stephen Harper to Skip UN Climate Summit
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?