Viral Video Shakira Hips Don't Lie: Oxford University Students Releases A Capella Performance of Shakira's Songs for Charity
By Jenalyn Villamarin | August 4, 2014 3:44 PM EST
A group of Oxford University students caught the attention of singer Shakira with their a capella performance on the Colombian music artist's 2006 hit single titled "Hips Don't Lie." The video that the all-male a capella group called Out of the Blue released to raise money for charity reached the Grammy-winning music artist and it became a viral hit after Shakira shared the link on Facebook and Twitter.
Singer Shakira arrives at the 2014 Billboard Music Awards in Las Vegas, Nevada May 18, 2014. REUTERS/L.E. Baskow
2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
"The Oxford choir - Out Of The Blue is awesome! And the fact that they are doing this for charity makes it all the more special...soo well done!! Shak," the 37-year-old singer shared on her official Facebook page on Saturday, July 26. On Twitter, Shakira also expressed admiration for the British group's a capella performance.
"Hey @ootboxford, we LOVE your a capella Shak medley! ¡Nos encanta este medley que han hecho @ootboxford! http://youtu.be/bRWVMPnByzo ShakHQ," Shakira posted on her Twitter account @shakira with the link to the video for her millions of followers to see. In the video, the British students showed off their amazing talents to Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" song as well as her other hits such as "Whenever, Wherever" and "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)."
Aside from their impressive vocal blending, the Oxford University students also danced to Shakira's songs with a little hip and bum shaking in the viral video. Joshua Barr, the Out of the Blue president since 2012, revealed in The Guardian report that the proceeds from their Shakira performance will go to the Helen & Douglas House Hospice for Children and Young Adults.
Meanwhile, Barr admitted that the group is still in shock that Shakira tweeted and posted on Facebook the link to their video performance. "On the Facebook post she signed it off personally so we knew she had actually watched the video, which is amazing," Joshua Barr stated.
Joshua Barr further revealed that the song choices for their charity video were based on the Colombian singer's worldwide appeal and their love for the music artist as well. The Out of the Blue member added that the group was not afraid to shake their hips and wiggle their bums to Shakira's music while working on the video and it could be the reason why they became Internet stars. Click HERE to watch the video.
— Shakira (@shakira) July 23, 2014
More Articles to Read:
2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak - [READ]
Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO] - [READ]
UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO] - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- MH370 Search Update: Was Reported That Experts Claim To Know The Possible Location; Suggest Authorities To Look ‘Further South In The Indian Ocean’
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Duchess Forced By The Queen To Be Out In The Public Again
- 5 Things You Should Know About House Training Your Pets
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money