Guardians of the Galaxy is the Top August Pre-selling Debut in History with $70 million US Sales - Fandango [Watch Video]
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | August 4, 2014 3:33 PM EST
Marvel Studio's "Guardians of the Galaxy" scored around $70 million U.S. sales making it the top pre-selling debut for the month of August in the entire 14-year history of the movie ticketing company Fandago. It is also the number one non-sequel movie of the year.
Costumed attendees dressed as characters from Guardians of the Galaxy are seen during the 2014 Comic-Con International Convention in San Diego, California July 24, 2014.
According to Hollywood Reporter, Galaxy surpassed the previous August record holder "Bourne Ultimatum" which earned $65 million. The movie also moved ahead of two other Marvel movies - "Thor" and "Captain America: The First Avenger." The former scored $65.7 million while latter scored $65.1 during the opening weekend.
"Guardians of the Galaxy" also outpaced "The LEGO Movie" which was the previous record holder for the highest non-sequel pre-seller of the year. LEGO opened with $69.1million U.S. sales in February.
The action packed adventure Galaxy movie was released to U.S. cinemas on Thursday. It was adapted from Marvel Super Heroes #18 which was published in 1969. The film was set in the same universe as Avengers which was another lucrative franchise of Marvel Studio.
The movie revolves around the story of an impetuous adventurer Peter Quill/ Star Lord (played by Chris Pratt) who stole a mysterious orb which was coveted by a powerful villain Ronan (played by Lee Pace) who wanted to invade the entire universe. Quill was placed in a relentless hunt of bounty but was forced into a difficult truce with four misfits - a gun-toting Rocket Raccoon (played by Bradley Cooper), a tree-like humanoid Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel), a vengeance driven Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista), and a mysterious Gamora (played by Zoe Saldana).
A survey to more than 1,000 online ticket buyers conducted by Fandango revealed that 95 percent of the movie goers are attracted by the film's lighthearted approach and eccentric humour. Eighty-seven percent of them planned to watch the movie on the opening weekend with a group of friends. A large majority (85%) looked forward to watch Chris Pratt on his breakout role while 67% of them mostly anticipated to see the ethereal character of Rocket Racoon.
Even though more than half (58%) of the survey participants were previously not familiar with the comic book, seventy-three percent of them are excited to see the movie because of the retro soundtrack. Even more, 80 percent of the survey participants are interested to watch Galaxy of the Galaxy sequels.
Watch the full official trailer of Guardians of the Galaxy from YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates