Top Rookie Andrew Wiggins Declares He Will Play for Team Who Wants Him
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 4, 2014 2:41 PM EST
2014 Top overall pick Andrew Wiggins addresses trade rumours Sunday when he declared he just wants to play for the team that wants him.
Jun 26, 2014; Brooklyn, NY, USA; Andrew Wiggins (Kansas) shakes hands with NBA commissioner Adam Silver after being selected as the number one overall pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2014 NBA Draft at the Barclays Center.
This is the first time that the rookie has spoken amidst his name being continuously being mentioned in the potential Kevin Love to the Cleveland Cavaliers speculations. Wiggins along with Anthony Bennett and a future first-round pick is the package being discussed to be sent the Cavaliers way in exchange for the all-star power forward.
The is an air of certainty to the transfer of the rookie to the Timberwolves after Minnesota owner Glen Taylor told St. Paul Pioneer Press that Love is to be traded probably on August 23 or 24. This the first day that Wiggins becomes eligible to be packaged in a trade after being signed to four year rookie deal last July 24. League rules dictate the Cavaliers will not be able to send him to another team for at least 30 days.
Many critics are already discussing that the swirling talks may have already damaged whatever future relationship Wiggins may build with the Cavaliers. However, the rookie also clarified Sunday that he is not taking the speculations personally.
"At the end of the day you have to remember that the NBA is a business before anything. I'm a rookie. I really don't have too much say," he said.
The media has widely regarded all the talks on the transfer as a "when" and not an "if" discussion. Several other trading partners for the Minnesota Timberwolves have already backed out of the discussion or shown little interest to continue such as the Boston Celtics, the Golden State Warriors and the Chicago Bulls. ESPN has also reported last week that the Timberwolves are also engaging the Philadelphie 76ers in a possible three team deal that will net them Thaddeus Young who will probably supplant the disgruntled Love.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports