Top Rookie Andrew Wiggins Declares He Will Play for Team Who Wants Him
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 4, 2014 2:41 PM EST
2014 Top overall pick Andrew Wiggins addresses trade rumours Sunday when he declared he just wants to play for the team that wants him.
Jun 26, 2014; Brooklyn, NY, USA; Andrew Wiggins (Kansas) shakes hands with NBA commissioner Adam Silver after being selected as the number one overall pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2014 NBA Draft at the Barclays Center.
This is the first time that the rookie has spoken amidst his name being continuously being mentioned in the potential Kevin Love to the Cleveland Cavaliers speculations. Wiggins along with Anthony Bennett and a future first-round pick is the package being discussed to be sent the Cavaliers way in exchange for the all-star power forward.
The is an air of certainty to the transfer of the rookie to the Timberwolves after Minnesota owner Glen Taylor told St. Paul Pioneer Press that Love is to be traded probably on August 23 or 24. This the first day that Wiggins becomes eligible to be packaged in a trade after being signed to four year rookie deal last July 24. League rules dictate the Cavaliers will not be able to send him to another team for at least 30 days.
Many critics are already discussing that the swirling talks may have already damaged whatever future relationship Wiggins may build with the Cavaliers. However, the rookie also clarified Sunday that he is not taking the speculations personally.
"At the end of the day you have to remember that the NBA is a business before anything. I'm a rookie. I really don't have too much say," he said.
The media has widely regarded all the talks on the transfer as a "when" and not an "if" discussion. Several other trading partners for the Minnesota Timberwolves have already backed out of the discussion or shown little interest to continue such as the Boston Celtics, the Golden State Warriors and the Chicago Bulls. ESPN has also reported last week that the Timberwolves are also engaging the Philadelphie 76ers in a possible three team deal that will net them Thaddeus Young who will probably supplant the disgruntled Love.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510