Top Rookie Andrew Wiggins Declares He Will Play for Team Who Wants Him
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 4, 2014 2:41 PM EST
2014 Top overall pick Andrew Wiggins addresses trade rumours Sunday when he declared he just wants to play for the team that wants him.
Jun 26, 2014; Brooklyn, NY, USA; Andrew Wiggins (Kansas) shakes hands with NBA commissioner Adam Silver after being selected as the number one overall pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2014 NBA Draft at the Barclays Center.
This is the first time that the rookie has spoken amidst his name being continuously being mentioned in the potential Kevin Love to the Cleveland Cavaliers speculations. Wiggins along with Anthony Bennett and a future first-round pick is the package being discussed to be sent the Cavaliers way in exchange for the all-star power forward.
The is an air of certainty to the transfer of the rookie to the Timberwolves after Minnesota owner Glen Taylor told St. Paul Pioneer Press that Love is to be traded probably on August 23 or 24. This the first day that Wiggins becomes eligible to be packaged in a trade after being signed to four year rookie deal last July 24. League rules dictate the Cavaliers will not be able to send him to another team for at least 30 days.
Many critics are already discussing that the swirling talks may have already damaged whatever future relationship Wiggins may build with the Cavaliers. However, the rookie also clarified Sunday that he is not taking the speculations personally.
"At the end of the day you have to remember that the NBA is a business before anything. I'm a rookie. I really don't have too much say," he said.
The media has widely regarded all the talks on the transfer as a "when" and not an "if" discussion. Several other trading partners for the Minnesota Timberwolves have already backed out of the discussion or shown little interest to continue such as the Boston Celtics, the Golden State Warriors and the Chicago Bulls. ESPN has also reported last week that the Timberwolves are also engaging the Philadelphie 76ers in a possible three team deal that will net them Thaddeus Young who will probably supplant the disgruntled Love.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate