Top Rookie Andrew Wiggins Declares He Will Play for Team Who Wants Him
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 4, 2014 2:41 PM EST
2014 Top overall pick Andrew Wiggins addresses trade rumours Sunday when he declared he just wants to play for the team that wants him.
Jun 26, 2014; Brooklyn, NY, USA; Andrew Wiggins (Kansas) shakes hands with NBA commissioner Adam Silver after being selected as the number one overall pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2014 NBA Draft at the Barclays Center.
This is the first time that the rookie has spoken amidst his name being continuously being mentioned in the potential Kevin Love to the Cleveland Cavaliers speculations. Wiggins along with Anthony Bennett and a future first-round pick is the package being discussed to be sent the Cavaliers way in exchange for the all-star power forward.
The is an air of certainty to the transfer of the rookie to the Timberwolves after Minnesota owner Glen Taylor told St. Paul Pioneer Press that Love is to be traded probably on August 23 or 24. This the first day that Wiggins becomes eligible to be packaged in a trade after being signed to four year rookie deal last July 24. League rules dictate the Cavaliers will not be able to send him to another team for at least 30 days.
Many critics are already discussing that the swirling talks may have already damaged whatever future relationship Wiggins may build with the Cavaliers. However, the rookie also clarified Sunday that he is not taking the speculations personally.
"At the end of the day you have to remember that the NBA is a business before anything. I'm a rookie. I really don't have too much say," he said.
The media has widely regarded all the talks on the transfer as a "when" and not an "if" discussion. Several other trading partners for the Minnesota Timberwolves have already backed out of the discussion or shown little interest to continue such as the Boston Celtics, the Golden State Warriors and the Chicago Bulls. ESPN has also reported last week that the Timberwolves are also engaging the Philadelphie 76ers in a possible three team deal that will net them Thaddeus Young who will probably supplant the disgruntled Love.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage