Top Rookie Andrew Wiggins Declares He Will Play for Team Who Wants Him
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 4, 2014 2:41 PM EST
2014 Top overall pick Andrew Wiggins addresses trade rumours Sunday when he declared he just wants to play for the team that wants him.
Jun 26, 2014; Brooklyn, NY, USA; Andrew Wiggins (Kansas) shakes hands with NBA commissioner Adam Silver after being selected as the number one overall pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2014 NBA Draft at the Barclays Center.
This is the first time that the rookie has spoken amidst his name being continuously being mentioned in the potential Kevin Love to the Cleveland Cavaliers speculations. Wiggins along with Anthony Bennett and a future first-round pick is the package being discussed to be sent the Cavaliers way in exchange for the all-star power forward.
The is an air of certainty to the transfer of the rookie to the Timberwolves after Minnesota owner Glen Taylor told St. Paul Pioneer Press that Love is to be traded probably on August 23 or 24. This the first day that Wiggins becomes eligible to be packaged in a trade after being signed to four year rookie deal last July 24. League rules dictate the Cavaliers will not be able to send him to another team for at least 30 days.
Many critics are already discussing that the swirling talks may have already damaged whatever future relationship Wiggins may build with the Cavaliers. However, the rookie also clarified Sunday that he is not taking the speculations personally.
"At the end of the day you have to remember that the NBA is a business before anything. I'm a rookie. I really don't have too much say," he said.
The media has widely regarded all the talks on the transfer as a "when" and not an "if" discussion. Several other trading partners for the Minnesota Timberwolves have already backed out of the discussion or shown little interest to continue such as the Boston Celtics, the Golden State Warriors and the Chicago Bulls. ESPN has also reported last week that the Timberwolves are also engaging the Philadelphie 76ers in a possible three team deal that will net them Thaddeus Young who will probably supplant the disgruntled Love.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border