Celebrities Who Opted For Surrogacy
By Afza Fathima | August 4, 2014 2:35 PM EST
A news story of a Thai surrogate mother giving birth to twins, one of whom is suffering from Down syndrome is doing the rounds as the Australian parents to whom she had agreed to do surrogacy for had refused to take in the child with the disability.
Actress Sarah Jessica Parker arrives at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York May 5, 2014.
Pattaramon Chanbua, a food vendor in Thailand, took a break from her job to take care of Gammy, the seven-month-old surrogate baby, also suffering from a congenital heart condition. He is being treated for an infection in his lungs.
On August 3, Pattaramon met the Australian couple and she says she felt no anger or hatred towards them.
Like the Australian couple, a lot of celebrity couples have gone in for a surrogate. Here is a list of couples who opted to have children out of surrogacy for reasons of their own.
Giuliana and Bill Rancic
Giuliana and Bill Rancic have faced troubles in starting a family which they shared on their reality-TV show "Guiliana and Bill. They've also been open about the fact that they will be using a surrogate.
Guiliana told People magazine that the surrogate was giving them the greatest gift ever.
Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick
Sarah Jessica Parker's surrogate was carrying twins, that were born on June 22, 2009. The couple was extremely delighted and they weren't expecting it either.
In 2012, Ricky Martin gave an exclusive interview to Vanity Fair in which he spoke about his experience about surrogacy and his beautiful twins, Matteo and Valentino, born in 2008. He said that he would give his life for the woman who helped bring his sons to the world.
Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban
After giving birth to her first child in 2008, the couple decided to turn to a surrogate to expand her family. The couple, whose child Faith Margaret was born through surrogacy on December 28, 2010, said that they feel incredible gratitude to everyone who was so supportive, particularly their gestational carrier.
The Hunger Games star said that she had an issue with her womb because of which the embryos wouldn't get implanted. She turned to surrogacy and the woman is still in their lives and is like an aunty to their son, Felix, born on March 30, 2011.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola News Regarding Wortham's Kindergarterners Infected is False, Angry Reactions
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch