Selfie Fail: Man's Attempt At 'Coolest' Selfie Tragically Ends His Life
By Tanya Diente | August 4, 2014 1:40 PM EST
A selfie-obsessed man failed to take the perfect gun selfie when the weapon accidentally went off and killed him with a shot on the head.
A woman takes a "selfie" photograph as activists attend a small protest against the declaration of martial law and the army's involvement in politics, in central Bangkok May 20, 2014. Thailand's army declared martial law nationwide on Tuesday to restore order after six months of street protests that have left the country without a proper functioning government, but insisted the surprise intervention was not a military coup.
Oscar Otero Aguilar from northern Mexico City is a selfie-whore according to Mirror UK as he has reportedly been taking pictures of himself in various places; fronting fast cars, sitting on a luxurious motorcycle, in a band and even when embracing beautiful ladies. However, his attempt at what news.au called the "coolest" selfie came to an end when he posed with a loaded gun and killed himself.
The 21-year old veterinarian decided to take his selfie obsession to the next level by doing a gun selfie. According to news.au, Oscar was treating the deadly weapon as a toy, "waving" it around while taking pictures of himself using his mobile phone. He was reportedly unaware that the gun was actually loaded when it accidently fired and one of its bullets hit his head.
A 57-year old neighbour, Manfredo Paez, said he "heard the gunshot" after the gun went off then he "heard somebody screaming and realised" that "somebody had been hurt."
"I called the police straight away," he added.
According to Paez, Oscar Otero Aguilar was still alive when the police responded to the call and arrived on the scene. Medics were also called thereafter to assess the young man's condition and then he was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. However, Oscar died on the way to the hospital despite medics' efforts to save his life, Mirror UK reports.
Witnesses to the incident confirmed to police that Oscar Otero Aguilar was taking pictures with the loaded gun and playing with it when it accidentally went off, tragically ending his stream of social media selfies.
Daily Mail reported, via Mexican news site proceso.com, that the young man was drinking with a couple of friends prior to the fatal accident. One of Oscar's friends, Omar Abner Campos Vives, was arrested while the other named "El Paco" reportedly took off.
The Ministry of Public Security told proceso.com that Oscar Otero Aguilar's gun selfie was originally intended to to be posted on his Facebook account.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports