Selfie Fail: Man's Attempt At 'Coolest' Selfie Tragically Ends His Life
By Tanya Diente | August 4, 2014 1:40 PM EST
A selfie-obsessed man failed to take the perfect gun selfie when the weapon accidentally went off and killed him with a shot on the head.
A woman takes a "selfie" photograph as activists attend a small protest against the declaration of martial law and the army's involvement in politics, in central Bangkok May 20, 2014. Thailand's army declared martial law nationwide on Tuesday to restore order after six months of street protests that have left the country without a proper functioning government, but insisted the surprise intervention was not a military coup.
Oscar Otero Aguilar from northern Mexico City is a selfie-whore according to Mirror UK as he has reportedly been taking pictures of himself in various places; fronting fast cars, sitting on a luxurious motorcycle, in a band and even when embracing beautiful ladies. However, his attempt at what news.au called the "coolest" selfie came to an end when he posed with a loaded gun and killed himself.
The 21-year old veterinarian decided to take his selfie obsession to the next level by doing a gun selfie. According to news.au, Oscar was treating the deadly weapon as a toy, "waving" it around while taking pictures of himself using his mobile phone. He was reportedly unaware that the gun was actually loaded when it accidently fired and one of its bullets hit his head.
A 57-year old neighbour, Manfredo Paez, said he "heard the gunshot" after the gun went off then he "heard somebody screaming and realised" that "somebody had been hurt."
"I called the police straight away," he added.
According to Paez, Oscar Otero Aguilar was still alive when the police responded to the call and arrived on the scene. Medics were also called thereafter to assess the young man's condition and then he was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. However, Oscar died on the way to the hospital despite medics' efforts to save his life, Mirror UK reports.
Witnesses to the incident confirmed to police that Oscar Otero Aguilar was taking pictures with the loaded gun and playing with it when it accidentally went off, tragically ending his stream of social media selfies.
Daily Mail reported, via Mexican news site proceso.com, that the young man was drinking with a couple of friends prior to the fatal accident. One of Oscar's friends, Omar Abner Campos Vives, was arrested while the other named "El Paco" reportedly took off.
The Ministry of Public Security told proceso.com that Oscar Otero Aguilar's gun selfie was originally intended to to be posted on his Facebook account.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS