Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Multiplayer Revealed and Sledgehammer Games’ Take on Photorealism
By Gel Galang | August 4, 2014 1:06 PM EST
Gamers line up under a "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare" game display during the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, in Los Angeles, California June 11, 2014. REUTERS/Jonathan Alcorn
Microsoft may be planning more for the "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare" multiplayer at Gamescom 2014, but there's already a teaser video for the Xbox Live reveal during the event at Cologne, Germany.
"Join me, Xbox Live's Aceybongos and the creators of "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare' for the world broadcast premiere of the next generation of 'Call of Duty' multiplayer during a special live event streamed on Xbox Live," Major Nelson announced over his official blog.
However, the trailer, as seen below, is merely a glimpse of what Sledgehammer Games has in store for "Call of Duty" fans. August 11 is a date to remember, as it marks the live reveal of "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare multiplayer, complete with exclusive interviews.
More than the multiplayer, for which Sledgehammer Games hopefully has a lot of interesting modes in store, the developer has also revealed a few more details on just how much of a game-changer "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare" is.
This goes beyond the EXO suits, which take the battleground of the COD franchise off the usual battlefield and onto futuristic heights.
If "Call of Duty: Ghosts" was a bit disappointing in terms of the promised next-gen realism, "Advanced Warfare" may hold the advantage with its photorealism techniques.
Speaking with Venture Beat, Sledgehammer Games reveals how they were able to make people wonder if what they're seeing onscreen for "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare" are real people or anmations.
"There are three basic pillars that make that reality. You have to have HDR, you have to have this thing called physical-based shading, and you have to have something else called physical-based lighting," Joe Salud said to Venture Beat.
What this means is that, instead of just relying on the artist's eye for details, there is now an engine that does all the procedural details to make sure that the characters look as real as they can be.
Achieving photorealism for "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare" also meant more than just mo-cap technology and shading. As mentioned before, the physical environment and surroundings also play a major role.
"One of the interesting things about realism and environment art from a production standpoint, which was new for me when overseeing the team and the artists and designers--you talk about going out and capturing facial," Sledgehammer's Aaron Halon said to Venture Beat. "But even for the environment, we were capturing real-world lighting with real-world materials. That was a big part of this physical base."
You'll see more at Gamescom, with hopefully more action and more villainous lines from none other than Kevin Spacey.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop