Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini review : Gets a Mini Teardown, Finds Mini Parts
By Sandhya kiran | August 4, 2014 1:01 PM EST
Galaxy S5 Mini gets a Teardown and is a smaller, lighter and less powerful version of the Galaxy S5, the iFixit team revealed. Galaxy S5 Mini features the dust and water resistance seal, the micro-SIM tray and the microSD card slot which indeed is similar to Galaxy S5 features. The Galaxy S5 Mini also holds a fingerprint scanner and a heart rate sensor within it.
A man walks out of Samsung Electronics' headquarters in Seoul January 6, 2014.
The teardown revealed that the Galaxy S5 Mini is comparatively easy to restore. The removable battery option makes access to the internal components easy too. The cameras, headphone jack, vibrator motor, and speakers can be changed without resulting into any extra damage to the device.
The hardware components of Galaxy Mini includes:
- Samsung K3QF5F50MM 1.5 GB DRAM
- 1.4 GHz quad-core Exynos 3 Quad
- Toshiba THGBMBG7D2KBAIL 16 GB NAND Flash
- TriQuint TQP9059S Power Amplifier Module
- Broadcom BCM4334 Dual-Band 802.11n Wi-Fi/BT 4.0 +HS/FM Receiver Combo Chip
- Murata DF HWF
- Skyworks 3529-11 60486 1
- ABOV Semiconductor 116CUB 1414
- Shannon 889 N7FT4AMZ
- Broadcom BCM475201UB Integrated Multi-Constellation GNSS Receiver
- Wolfson Microelectronics WM1811AE Multi-Channel Audio Hub CODEC
- InvenSense M651M 6-Axis Accel + Gyro
The Galaxy S5 Mini comes in the similar colours as the original: black, white, gold and blue. The S5 Mini has got a 4.5-inch 720p display, 1.5 GB of RAM with 16GB of internal storage capacity. The phone is powered by a 1.4 GHz quad-core processor and lithium-ion battery rated at 2,100 mAh, 3.85 V, and 8.09 Wh.
S5 Mini sports a 8.0 MP rear-facing camera with AF + LED Flash, along with a 2.1 MP front-facing camera, which is desired for the selfies.
The connectivity of the phone includes Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, NFC (LTE ver. only), Bluetooth v4.0 LE, microUSB 2.0, A-GPS + GLONASS, IR Remote.
The key differentiator between the two handsets, is that the Galaxy S5 packs the powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon 801, which is one in the fastest processors in 2014. While the S5 Mini carries the Snapdragon 400, a less powerful chip designed for mid-range handsets, sources revealed.
Samsung has confirmed that the device will be globally released very soon but the S5 Mini is set to launch first in Russia later this August. However, thare are no rumours about the selling price of Galaxy S5 Mini as of yet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles