5 Things to Know About Dakota Johnson -- Fifty Shades of Grey’s Anastasia Steel
By Addah Arcilla | August 4, 2014 12:11 PM EST
Actress Dakota Johnson arrives at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York, May 5, 2014.
The "Fifty Shades of Grey" official trailer is finally out. Now it won't be long before it hits the big screen. But who, you might ask, is this 23-year-old blonde starlet playing Anastasia Steel? Fear not, before you start imagining her as Anastasia Steel, here are five interesting facts on Dakota Johnson that you should know.
1. Showbiz is in her blood.
Dakota is the daughter of "Miami Vice" star Don Johnson and actress Melanie Griffith. Antonio Banderas, Melanie's current husband, is her step-father. Her half-sister, Stella Banderas, is also an actress known for the movie "Crazy in Alabama." Dakota's grandparents are former actor Peter Griffith and "The Birds" actress, Tippi Hedren.
2. She's also a model.
Dakota started modeling at the age of 12 when she did a "Teen Vogue" shoot with young celebrities. She signed a modeling contract with IMG Models when she was 17 and since then has modeled for Mango Jeans and shot the Wish "Rising Star" campaign. She has also been featured in international magazines like "Spain Glamour" and "L'Officiel."
3. She made her film debut when she was 10.
In 1999, Antonio Banderas directed Dakota in "Crazy in Alabama," which also starred her half-sister Stella Banderas and mother Melanie Griffith. Her next big screen appearance wouldn't be until 10 years later in the movie "Social Network" opposite Justin Timberlake.
Dakota also have had roles in "Beastly," "21 Jump Street," "The Five-Year Engagement," and the TV sitcom "Ben and Kate."
4. She's a second-generation Miss Golden Globe.
The title Miss Golden globe is traditionally given to a child of a celebrity and the honoree then assists in that year's Golden Globe Awards ceremony. This title was given to Dakota in 2006, making her the first ever second-generation Miss Golden Globe in history. Her mother Melanie Griffith was voted Miss Golden Globe in 1975.
5. Dakota really wanted to play Anastasia Steel.
The young actress begged her manager to help her get the role the moment she heard that producer Mike Deluca is making the film. She auditioned for the role by reading a sexually explicit monologue from Ingram Bergman's Persona, which tells the sexual adventures of Nurse Alma on the beach with another women and two young boys.
Nobody knew that she auditioned for the part except for her boyfriend actor Jordan Masterson. Dakota cried out of relief when she found out that she got the part.
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination