Verizon Launches World's First Sapphire Display Smartphone for $400 and it is Not Apple iPhone 6
By Pavithra Rathinavel | August 4, 2014 11:25 AM EST
The long-awaited Apple iPhone 6 on release date will reportedly feature a sapphire crystal display. According to earlier rumours, only the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 phablet would feature the sapphire display, due to the non-availability of sapphire crystals and the huge demand. However, the upcoming iPhone 6 is not the pioneer in introducing sapphire display on smartphones. On Thursday, Verizon listed a brand new Android smartphone named "Kyocera Brigadier" specific to the U.S markets. Notably, the Brigadier features sapphire shield display.
A cybersecurity expert monitors telecommunications traffic at a network operations center in a Verizon facility in Ashburn, Virginia July 15, 2014.
For those unfamiliar, a smartphone display made of sapphire crystal signifies extreme durability. However, there is no guarantee that the display is non-breakable. When compared to other available display materials, sapphire crystal stands out. This display would come handy for those who handle smartphones roughly, according to Phone Arena.
The duo Verizon and Kyocera believe that sapphire display is almost scratch-proof. And it has the strength to protect the display in case the handset falls head-on. When it comes to specifications, the Kyocera Brigadier features a 4.5-inch display bundled with 720 x 1,280 pixels resolution. Interestingly, the handset can be operated with hand gloves and also with wet fingers.
The Kyocera Brigadier is a sturdy/rugged handset and hence it looks bulky. Notably, the smartphone conforms to the US Department of Defence's Military Standard 810G. Meaning, the Kyocera Brigadier will be protected from "shock, vibration, low pressure, solar radiation, temperature extremes, blowing rain, salt fog, dust, and humidity." Furthermore, the smartphone is also protected from accidental water immersion/spilling. Hence it is IP68 certified.
Other specifications include, LTE and NFC support, Android 4.4 KitKat OS, an 8 MP rear-facing camera unit and a 2 MP front-facing shooter. The Brigadier is powered by a quad-core (Snapdragon 400) processor clocked at 1.4 GHz and 2 GB of RAM. When it comes to memory, the phone houses 16 GB of in-built storage with microSD card support for expansion.
The device comes equipped with a powerful 3100 mAh non-removable battery unit. In addition, it provides wireless charging facility. The Kyocera Brigadier is priced at $399.99 without a contract. The phone can also be purchased under a 2-year contract from Verizon for $99.99.
Interested readers can check out the images of the Kyocera Brigadier from Phone Arena.
2. OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 - Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff - [Read]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast