Jennifer Lawrence's Fitness Routine Involves Yoga: Benefits of Yoga
By Afza Fathima | August 4, 2014 11:24 AM EST
Jennifer Lawrence, who recently was bestowed with the Best Supporting Actress Academy Award nomination, has been following a stringent workout.
Her upcoming role as Everdeen Katniss in "The Hunger Games" demands from her stunts and skills that require concentration and a flexible body. For this very reason, the 23-year old American and TV actress is practising yoga.
Jennifer Lawrence, best supporting actress nominee for her role in "American Hustle," arrives at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014.
Yoga can help strengthen your body, ease breathing and improve flexibility. Some types of yoga help in relaxation, while others help you move around more. Asanas are the learning positions that most types of yoga revolves around.
Poses in yoga help stretch your muscles, making you move better and this also ensures that one feels less tired. According to a study, after eight weeks of yoga, people improved on their flexibility by a massive 35 per cent.
Ashtanga and power yoga are styles of yoga there are very physical. These types of yoga will help tone the muscles. Styles of yoga like Iyengar and hatha help build strength and endurance.
Poses like downward dog, upward dog and the plank pose help in strengthening the upper body. Poses which involve standing strengthen the hamstrings, quadriceps and abs. Upward dog and chair poses strengthen the lower back. Almost all the poses build core strength in the abdominal muscles.
Strength and flexibility improves the posture. Core muscles support and maintain the poses and standing and sitting positions helps develop that. A stronger core helps one to sit and stand "tall."
Yoga also creates body awareness, which helps adjust one's posture in the case of slouching or slumping.
Specific breathing techniques in yoga help pay attention to your breathing, which in turn relaxes the body and mind. Yoga usually isn't aerobic unless it is done in a heated room or is a really intense type of yoga.
Yoga also de-stresses and relaxes the mind. A few of the styles of yoga use meditation to help calm the mild.
Another benefit of yoga is that it helps lower blood pressure and slows the heart rate, which is beneficial to those suffering from high blood pressure or heart disease and even those who've had a stroke.
In people with high cholesterol and triglyceride, yoga is known to have lowered it, also helping the immune system function better.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Declares Nigeria Ebola-Free, Urges Other Nations To Replicate Success Story
- Family Of Ebola Nurse Patient Hires Lawyer To Clear Things Up, Refutes CDC Claims; Agency Revises Guidelines
- Ebola Czar In US To Work On Bringing Down Anxiety Levels About The Epidemic : Nigeria Cheers As It Becomes Ebola Free
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop