2014 Commonwealth Games: England Knocks Australia Off the Overall Medal Count for the First Time Since 1986, Top 10 Countries in Medal Standings
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 4, 2014 9:31 AM EST
England knocked Australia off the overall medal count for the first time in 28 years. After 11 days of entertaining competition at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, England topped the medal table with Australia and Canada finishing in second and third places, respectively.
A performer jumps in kangaroo boots during the opening ceremony for the 2014 Commonwealth Games at Celtic Park in Glasgow, Scotland, July 23, 2014. REUTERS/Jim Young
The three counties are among the six nations which have participated in every Commonwealth Games. England, Australia, and Canada have all ruled the medal table, but the Aussies hold the record for being the "highest achieving team" in the history of the competition. Since its inception, Australia has topped the medal standings in 12 Commonwealth Games, England in 7, and Canada in one.
The English can celebrate their best performance since the Edinburgh games in 1986. England has won a total of 174 medals including 58 gold, 59 silver, and 57 bronze. Australia ripped 137 medals including 49 gold, 42 silver, and 46 bronze. Third place finisher Canada, on the other hand, has racked up more medals than it did a few years back in New Delhi. Canada won 82 medals including 32 gold, 16 silver, and 34 bronze.
According to the chief executive of Australian Institute of Sport Matt Favier as reported by Theage.com.au, they were pleased with Australia's performance in the 2014 Commonwealth Games. However, Favier said that they will have to review some of their athletes' performance in various sport disciplines. "With some sports, we'll be having conversations with them around their performance here, and what does that indicate for us as a nation with regards to Rio," said Favier.
Favier added that they weren't really surprised that England has toppled Australia off the medal standings. Nonetheless, they were confident that they will be able to reclaim the top spot in 2018 Games which will be held in Gold Coast.
TOP 10 COUNTRIES - OVERALL MEDAL COUNT (GOLD, SILVER, BRONZE)
1. England - 174 (58, 59, 57)
2. Australia - 137 (49, 42, 46)
3. Canada - 82 (32, 16, 34)
4. Scotland - 53 (19, 15, 19)
5. India - 64 (15, 30, 19)
6. New Zealand - 45 (14, 14, 17)
7. South Africa - 40 (13, 10, 17)
8. Nigeria - 36 (11, 11, 14)
9. Kenya - 25 (10, 10, 5)
10. Jamaica - 22 (10, 4, 8)
For the complete list 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally, visit Glasgow2014.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners