2014 Commonwealth Games: England Knocks Australia Off the Overall Medal Count for the First Time Since 1986, Top 10 Countries in Medal Standings
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 4, 2014 9:31 AM EST
England knocked Australia off the overall medal count for the first time in 28 years. After 11 days of entertaining competition at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, England topped the medal table with Australia and Canada finishing in second and third places, respectively.
A performer jumps in kangaroo boots during the opening ceremony for the 2014 Commonwealth Games at Celtic Park in Glasgow, Scotland, July 23, 2014. REUTERS/Jim Young
The three counties are among the six nations which have participated in every Commonwealth Games. England, Australia, and Canada have all ruled the medal table, but the Aussies hold the record for being the "highest achieving team" in the history of the competition. Since its inception, Australia has topped the medal standings in 12 Commonwealth Games, England in 7, and Canada in one.
The English can celebrate their best performance since the Edinburgh games in 1986. England has won a total of 174 medals including 58 gold, 59 silver, and 57 bronze. Australia ripped 137 medals including 49 gold, 42 silver, and 46 bronze. Third place finisher Canada, on the other hand, has racked up more medals than it did a few years back in New Delhi. Canada won 82 medals including 32 gold, 16 silver, and 34 bronze.
According to the chief executive of Australian Institute of Sport Matt Favier as reported by Theage.com.au, they were pleased with Australia's performance in the 2014 Commonwealth Games. However, Favier said that they will have to review some of their athletes' performance in various sport disciplines. "With some sports, we'll be having conversations with them around their performance here, and what does that indicate for us as a nation with regards to Rio," said Favier.
Favier added that they weren't really surprised that England has toppled Australia off the medal standings. Nonetheless, they were confident that they will be able to reclaim the top spot in 2018 Games which will be held in Gold Coast.
TOP 10 COUNTRIES - OVERALL MEDAL COUNT (GOLD, SILVER, BRONZE)
1. England - 174 (58, 59, 57)
2. Australia - 137 (49, 42, 46)
3. Canada - 82 (32, 16, 34)
4. Scotland - 53 (19, 15, 19)
5. India - 64 (15, 30, 19)
6. New Zealand - 45 (14, 14, 17)
7. South Africa - 40 (13, 10, 17)
8. Nigeria - 36 (11, 11, 14)
9. Kenya - 25 (10, 10, 5)
10. Jamaica - 22 (10, 4, 8)
For the complete list 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally, visit Glasgow2014.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight