Kirstie Alley Lashes Out at ‘Dancing with the Stars’ Dancer Maksim Chmerkovskiy After Revealing Scientology Ended Their Friendship
By Anne Lu | August 4, 2014 8:16 AM EST
Scientology has ended “Dancing with the Stars” professional dancer Maksim Chmerkovskiy’s friendship with Kirstie Alley, according to him. The 63-year-old actress responded by unleashing a hopefully not literal tweet involving “a—rape.”
Maksim and Kirstie became friends when they were paired up twice in the U.S. dancing show in 2011 and in 2012.
In the 12th season (2011), the two took first runner-up in the competition, while they only got to seventh place during the All Stars edition (2012).
One would think that they would have retained their friendship even after their time on the show ended, but apparently, that isn’t the case.
In “Watch What Happens Live” on Tuesday, Maksim admitted to host Andy Cohen that he’s no longer on speaking terms with Kirstie.
A caller asked if Kirstie, one of the most vocal members of the Church of Scientology, had tried to convert him to her religion. Maksim answered that she has shunned him out.
“She stopped getting along with me,” he said. “I think the world of her. I’m not judging people by their religion. I’m Jewish, you know. I don’t really believe with science fiction.”
Scientology was founded by L Ron Hubbard, a science fiction writer. The church itself has been riddled with controversy and questionable practices, with its members reportedly being forbidden from associating with non-members.
“I thought we had a great relationship,” Maksim added, continuing, “and if it was something else or not, I don’t know. But I got the message that now I’m associating with other people that she can’t be associated with, I am no longer to be spoken with, and sorry, but that is what it is.”
He did not give a name, but it was speculated that he was referring to Leah Remini, who publicly denounced Scientology in 2013. Following her departure from the church, Leah made an enemy of Kirstie, who went on a Twitter rampage against her former friend and called her a “bigot” for leaving the church.
Leah joined the 17th season of “Dancing with the Stars” in 2013. She was partnered with Tony Dovolani, and has finished fifth. Maksim was a guest judge in the show.
“I love people,” Maksim continued. “I don’t judge them ... my best friend is Muslim.
“I just feel like it’s sad that we’ve gone through so much together, and I feel like I’ve helped her and this is where we’re at now, but I still think the world of her and I wish her the best.”
Kirstie doesn’t wish him the best, though.
On Saturday, she posted a jaw-dropping tweet about an unnamed male, though it was perhaps obvious that she was referring to Maksim.
Dear Sir..after you have ass raped me there is really no reason to include "I wish you the best".. It's rhetorical
— Kirstie Alley (@kirstiealley) August 1, 2014
Here’s to hoping that Kirstie was just speaking metaphorically.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate