Box Office: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Earns $37.8M Friday Possible to Hit $100M Over the Weekend
By Katrina Dianne Gimenez | August 4, 2014 2:26 AM EST
Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy" surpassed "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" on its opening night, earning $11.2M on Thursday, July 31, 2014, and reaching a net of $37M on Friday, August 1, 2014. Will it be possible for the intergalactic superhero movie to hit $100M over the weekend?
"Guardians of the Galaxy" premiered in over 42 countries. It earned $2.3M in UK and Ireland, $3.5M in Russia, and $1.6M in Central and South America. It is, at present, the largest August opening of all time, debuting in 4, 080 theaters, 3, 200 of which are in 3D.
The estimated earning of $75M was later increased to an estimate of $90M due to its growing popularity through word of mouth and strong reviews.
Despite the somewhat predictable plot, the superhero movie was highly praised by critics due to its humorous and witty approach. It was even able to pull off a 92% approval on Rotten Tomatoes.
The soaring popularity of Disney's latest movie may also be due to its excellent marketing campaigns. Scott Mendelson of Forbes dubbed Disney's marketing strategy as "a textbook example of how to sell an unknown property to the masses."
Coupled with a good marketing strategy, the movie may possibly earn over $100M over the weekend. If this happens, it will snatch Captain America's current position of being the second biggest opening of the year.
Due to the success of the premiere, Marvel has announced plans to release a sequel on 2017.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James