Box Office: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Earns $37.8M Friday Possible to Hit $100M Over the Weekend
By Katrina Dianne Gimenez | August 4, 2014 2:26 AM EST
Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy" surpassed "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" on its opening night, earning $11.2M on Thursday, July 31, 2014, and reaching a net of $37M on Friday, August 1, 2014. Will it be possible for the intergalactic superhero movie to hit $100M over the weekend?
"Guardians of the Galaxy" premiered in over 42 countries. It earned $2.3M in UK and Ireland, $3.5M in Russia, and $1.6M in Central and South America. It is, at present, the largest August opening of all time, debuting in 4, 080 theaters, 3, 200 of which are in 3D.
The estimated earning of $75M was later increased to an estimate of $90M due to its growing popularity through word of mouth and strong reviews.
Despite the somewhat predictable plot, the superhero movie was highly praised by critics due to its humorous and witty approach. It was even able to pull off a 92% approval on Rotten Tomatoes.
The soaring popularity of Disney's latest movie may also be due to its excellent marketing campaigns. Scott Mendelson of Forbes dubbed Disney's marketing strategy as "a textbook example of how to sell an unknown property to the masses."
Coupled with a good marketing strategy, the movie may possibly earn over $100M over the weekend. If this happens, it will snatch Captain America's current position of being the second biggest opening of the year.
Due to the success of the premiere, Marvel has announced plans to release a sequel on 2017.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch