Paul George and Freak Injuries in Basketball [VIDEOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | August 2, 2014 10:45 PM EST
Paul George suffered a freak injury during the intra-squad training of the members of the Team USA pool for the 2014 FIBA World Cup of Spain on Friday night. The Indiana Pacers’ franchise player broke his lower leg in half in what would be the most gruesome injuries in basketball in recent memory.
Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY
Team USA guard Paul George is carted off the floor on a gurney after suffering a lower leg injury during the USA Basketball Showcase at Thomas & Mack Center.
IBTimes Australia writers have already made a recap of the incident and also how the league reacted to it and this article won’t delve into those but rather would compare George’s horrific spill to other players who suffered an equally devastating or worse injuries.
Fair warning: before reading the rest of the article make sure you haven’t had your breakfast/lunch/dinner yet. Some of the images are so graphic and gross that it will make you puke. And we start with the most similar…
Kevin Ware – guard, Louisville
Shaun Livingston – guard, Los Angeles Clippers
Andrew Bogut - center, Milwaukee Bucks
Kyle Bullinger – center, Weber State
Ware’s injury is similar to George’s in a sense that it came from a same basketball play: Ware and George were the defenders in this play and was challenging a shot of an offensive player. The difference was that Ware sort of slipped before breaking his leg in half while George hit what was supposed to be the support post to protect the players.
The other plays were all good basketball plays too—Livingston off a steal on a fastbreak; Bogut running the break and being rewarded with a good pass for the easy dunk;and Bullinger going aggressive for an offensive rebound.
Like these four players, Paul George’s injury will be remembered not only because of the gravity of the damage but because of the graphic images seen by millions on social media and the internet.
The good news is that all of the injured players in those videos have returned to competitive basketball. The bad news is that most of them have never returned to the level of play they werein before getting hit with the horrific injury.
Paul George – forward, Team USA/Indiana Pacers
Will Paul George bounce back from this injury? The Indiana Pacers sure hope so as the franchise is set to pay him $15.93 million in the 2014-2015 season—just the first of a five-year deal worth nearly $92M.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone