Tony Parker Wants More Championships, Extends Contract with San Antonio Spurs for $43.3M
By James Patrick Quizon | August 2, 2014 10:39 AM EST
Tony Parker has already won four championships with the San Antonio Spurs but the Frenchman wants to add more to his title collection after signing a three-year $43.5 million contract extension with the Texas franchise.
San Antonio Spurs' Tony Parker (R) of France dishes off past Miami Heat's Ray Allen during the second half in Game 1 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas June 5, 2014.
The official account of the league confirmed the Parker extension with the Spurs:
— San Antonio Spurs (@spurs) August 1, 2014
As per team’s policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed but according to various reports the deal will pay Parker $13.4M in 2015-16 when the extension kicks in and $14.4M (2016-2017) and $15.4M (2017-2018).
The deal retains Parker’s status as the Spurs’ highest paid player for the 2013-2014 with Tim Duncan ($10.36M), Tiago Splitter ($9.25M), Boris Diaw ($7.5M) and Manu Ginobili ($7M) all on bargain deals for the next season. Kawhi Leonard, who is likely due for a huge extension with his recent stellar play, only gets $2.89M.
Barring any major injury, the 32-year-old Frenchman is expected to be the starting point guard for the Spurs for the duration of his new contract. Patty Mills (nearly $11M for three years) and Cory Joseph ($2M next year) will serve as Parker’s back-up in San Antonio.
Parker will enter his 14th season in the league after being picked as the 28th overall pick in the 2001 NBA Draft. He has helped the Spurs to four titles (2003, 2005, 2007 and 2014) and was named the NBA Finals Most Valuable Player (MVP) in the 2007 title run.
Parker has averaged 17.1 points, 6.0 assists and 3.0 rebounds in his NBA career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS