Tony Parker Wants More Championships, Extends Contract with San Antonio Spurs for $43.3M
By James Patrick Quizon | August 2, 2014 10:39 AM EST
Tony Parker has already won four championships with the San Antonio Spurs but the Frenchman wants to add more to his title collection after signing a three-year $43.5 million contract extension with the Texas franchise.
San Antonio Spurs' Tony Parker (R) of France dishes off past Miami Heat's Ray Allen during the second half in Game 1 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas June 5, 2014.
The official account of the league confirmed the Parker extension with the Spurs:
— San Antonio Spurs (@spurs) August 1, 2014
As per team’s policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed but according to various reports the deal will pay Parker $13.4M in 2015-16 when the extension kicks in and $14.4M (2016-2017) and $15.4M (2017-2018).
The deal retains Parker’s status as the Spurs’ highest paid player for the 2013-2014 with Tim Duncan ($10.36M), Tiago Splitter ($9.25M), Boris Diaw ($7.5M) and Manu Ginobili ($7M) all on bargain deals for the next season. Kawhi Leonard, who is likely due for a huge extension with his recent stellar play, only gets $2.89M.
Barring any major injury, the 32-year-old Frenchman is expected to be the starting point guard for the Spurs for the duration of his new contract. Patty Mills (nearly $11M for three years) and Cory Joseph ($2M next year) will serve as Parker’s back-up in San Antonio.
Parker will enter his 14th season in the league after being picked as the 28th overall pick in the 2001 NBA Draft. He has helped the Spurs to four titles (2003, 2005, 2007 and 2014) and was named the NBA Finals Most Valuable Player (MVP) in the 2007 title run.
Parker has averaged 17.1 points, 6.0 assists and 3.0 rebounds in his NBA career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date