Defending Champion Rafael Nadal Withdraws at Rogers Cup 2014 Due to Wrist Injury
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 1, 2014 11:55 PM EST
Rafael Nadal will not be able to defend his title at the upcoming Rogers Cup in Toronto next week.
Last Tuesday, the world no. 2 withdrew from the tournament as well as the upcoming tournament in Cincinnati and one more key U.S. Open prep event.
Rafael Nadal of Spain reacts after defeating Lukas Rosol of the Czech Republic in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 26, 2014.
Nadal's pull out to the tournament is due to the right wrist injury he had during practice. His wrist needs to be immobilised in cast, which will make him miss two events.
According to a recent statement, Nadal said that he would be out for least two to three weeks and the defending U.S. Open champion puts the defence in doubt due to his injury.
"I'm extremely disappointed that I am unable to defend my Rogers Cup title this year," the Spaniard said via Tennis Canada. "I was looking forward to coming there and playing again in Toronto as I have always loved to play in Canada and had great results in the past at a very important event."
Although left-handed, the tennis superstar uses a two-handed backhand. He uses his right hand for his backhand and to toss the ball for his serves.
Wrist injuries are common in professional tennis, which can affect both the dominant and non-dominant hand.
"Even if somebody is using a two-handed backhand, there still a dominance of one hand during the swing," Dr. Richard Berger, an orthopaedic surgeon at the Mayo Clinic who specialises in operations said in a statement via NY Times.
Rafael Nadal's 2013 title at Flushing Meadows in one of his 14 Grand Slams, which tied him in the second place in men's tennis history with Pete Sampras behind Roger Federer's 17 Grand Slams.
Projected to the no. 2 seed in Toronto, last year's Rogers Cup title holder in Montreal was set to arrive in town for Friday's draw. The Rogers Cup begins on Monday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies