World Peace in China, Metta to Become Highest Paid Import in Chinese Basketball Association
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 1, 2014 9:15 PM EST
Metta World Peace is bringing his brand of basketball to China to play for the Sichuan Blue Whales in the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) and is set to be the highest-paid import in the league after agreeing to a $1.43 million contract with the Chinese squad.
Basketball player Metta World Peace poses with his family at Nickelodeon's Kids' Choice Sports 2014 award show in Los Angeles July 17, 2014.
First thing I am doing when I get to china will be visiting Pandas with my daughter @BabyGirl_Sade
— mettaworldpeace.com (@MettaWorldPeace) July 31, 2014
Metta World Peace, or formerly as Ron Artest, was drafted by the Chicago Bulls 16th overall in the 1999 NBA Draft. He played with Chicago for three years (1999-2002) before being traded to the Indiana Pacers (2001-2006).
No thanks to the infamous Detroit-Indiana brawl he was again shipped out of Indiana and never really got his career back on track. World Peace had stints with the Sacramento Kings (2005-2008), Houston Rockets (2008-2009), Los Angeles Lakers (2009-2013) and New York Knicks (2013-2014) in the final years of his NBA career.
The 34-year-old struggled to get minutes in his last season in the NBA and produced just 4.8 points and 2.0 rebounds. For his entire 15-year NBA career, he averaged 13.8 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.8 assists.
However, World Peace’s true value to his NBA squads was his toughness and defensive intensity—something that the Chinese squad hopes hasn’t fallen off the cliff yet like his other basketball skills. The Blue Whales are one of the worst teams in the Chinese league last season with just 14 wins against 18 losses in the 2013-2014 season.
With the hiring of Phil Jackson as president/general manger in New York, World Peace was hoping to get an invite to the Knicks camp but was never seriously pursued by the squad. Instead, the veteran small forward is bringing his talent to the other side of the world.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation