Australia's Sally Pearson Silence Critics With A Fearsome Performance In The Heats Of 100m Hurdle
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 1, 2014 9:15 PM EST
If the timing of Eric Hollingworth's bashing didn't make sense, Sally Pearson's decision to prepare in London does. Sally has done, what an artist would be proud of. She has answered her critics through a fearsome performance in the 100m hurdle heats on Friday. She qualifies for the finals and will defend her gold at Glasgow.
The Olympic gold medalists, is on course to defend her Commonwealth gold here at Glasgow.
She has been the topic of discussion on the social media for over a week now. After Eric's remarks pointing out that her "no-show sets a bad example for the entire national team". The comments were disturbing for the champion athlete. More than that, the bashing came hours before Sally was set to make her comeback from injury, the timing of the incident was the reason Eric was sent home. Distractions, suspensions and all the wrong things happening around meant Sally was the one under huge pressure prior to the event.
"It has been a huge distraction. I am in a really good head space at the moment. I want to keep it going," she told Channel Ten. "You saw how I ran tonight. It shows how important preparation is for an athlete. I missed the team camp. I know that I am the team captain and it would have been great there for team morale, but I know those athletes in the team, I know they work together really well".
Sally Pearson, who has won the 2011 world title and 2012 olympic gold went about her business as if she was competing for gold. She is the fourth fastest 100 m hurdler in the history and the 27 year is all set to defend her gold in this year's games.
She was coming back after a hamstring injury and was unsure about her prospects in the games this year. Rather than going for the customary training camp with her Athletics mates she planned to prepare at London, where she had won an Olympic gold in 2012.
Injuries bring mental blocks to the athletes and that is what Sally wanted to remove. "She is quite relaxed. She felt really, really good after London, we ticked those boxes with a couple of good training sessions so she is positive, relaxed and I think she just wants to get out there and race now", her coach Drinkwater-Newman said. No wonder she would be feeling a lot more relieved now.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change