Canada Teen Dies after Football Post Falls on Head
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 1, 2014 8:53 PM EST
Jaime Palm, a 15-year-old Canadian student, died after a football post fell on her head. She was a student at Bill Crothers Secondary School, Ontario.
Jaime became critically injured after the weighty metal post fell on her head when she was playing football with her friends near the Portuguese Culture Centre in Bradford.
Argentina's Lionel Messi controls the ball during a team soccer training session at the arena di Corinthians stadium in Sao Paulo, July 8, 2014, a day before their 2014 World Cup semi-final soccer match against the Netherlands.
The post could not be moved even after one of her friends tried to help her out by moving it. Thereafter, 911 was called to take care of the situation. The teenager passed away after she had been rushed to hospital.
Jaime was a talented athlete who took active participation in football, field hockey and gymnastics. Her friend said that she was an "amazing person."
CBC News quoted Nicole Jaskot saying that Jaime made everyone happy.
"She never failed to make all of us smile and make us all happy," Nicole said, "She was good at every sport she played and she's beautiful and we'll never forget her and how amazing she was."
According to Jaime's coach Mira Wong, the death came as a shock which could not be expressed in words.
"I don't think there are any words that can kind of describe, you know, the shock that we're in," Wong said.
Jaime was about to start her 10th grade as the new school sessions start next week. Jaime might have taken inspiration from her mother about being active in sports. Her mother is presently the head of the Physical Education department at her school.
An investigation was conducted by the department of leisure to ensure a safe playing environment. All the goal posts were examined as a security measure. It was declared after the inspection that every football goal post was in stable condition.
Jaime's friends expressed their feelings on social network. Jessica Auerbach tweeted that she was lucky to have known Jaime.
"Heaven truly gained the most amazing angel," she wrote.
Maddie posted Jamie's photo along with her playmates and wrote that she was "one of the most beautiful and incredible athletes."
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles