Canada Teen Dies after Football Post Falls on Head
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 1, 2014 8:53 PM EST
Jaime Palm, a 15-year-old Canadian student, died after a football post fell on her head. She was a student at Bill Crothers Secondary School, Ontario.
Jaime became critically injured after the weighty metal post fell on her head when she was playing football with her friends near the Portuguese Culture Centre in Bradford.
Argentina's Lionel Messi controls the ball during a team soccer training session at the arena di Corinthians stadium in Sao Paulo, July 8, 2014, a day before their 2014 World Cup semi-final soccer match against the Netherlands.
The post could not be moved even after one of her friends tried to help her out by moving it. Thereafter, 911 was called to take care of the situation. The teenager passed away after she had been rushed to hospital.
Jaime was a talented athlete who took active participation in football, field hockey and gymnastics. Her friend said that she was an "amazing person."
CBC News quoted Nicole Jaskot saying that Jaime made everyone happy.
"She never failed to make all of us smile and make us all happy," Nicole said, "She was good at every sport she played and she's beautiful and we'll never forget her and how amazing she was."
According to Jaime's coach Mira Wong, the death came as a shock which could not be expressed in words.
"I don't think there are any words that can kind of describe, you know, the shock that we're in," Wong said.
Jaime was about to start her 10th grade as the new school sessions start next week. Jaime might have taken inspiration from her mother about being active in sports. Her mother is presently the head of the Physical Education department at her school.
An investigation was conducted by the department of leisure to ensure a safe playing environment. All the goal posts were examined as a security measure. It was declared after the inspection that every football goal post was in stable condition.
Jaime's friends expressed their feelings on social network. Jessica Auerbach tweeted that she was lucky to have known Jaime.
"Heaven truly gained the most amazing angel," she wrote.
Maddie posted Jamie's photo along with her playmates and wrote that she was "one of the most beautiful and incredible athletes."
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes