Canada Teen Dies after Football Post Falls on Head
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 1, 2014 8:53 PM EST
Jaime Palm, a 15-year-old Canadian student, died after a football post fell on her head. She was a student at Bill Crothers Secondary School, Ontario.
Jaime became critically injured after the weighty metal post fell on her head when she was playing football with her friends near the Portuguese Culture Centre in Bradford.
Argentina's Lionel Messi controls the ball during a team soccer training session at the arena di Corinthians stadium in Sao Paulo, July 8, 2014, a day before their 2014 World Cup semi-final soccer match against the Netherlands.
The post could not be moved even after one of her friends tried to help her out by moving it. Thereafter, 911 was called to take care of the situation. The teenager passed away after she had been rushed to hospital.
Jaime was a talented athlete who took active participation in football, field hockey and gymnastics. Her friend said that she was an "amazing person."
CBC News quoted Nicole Jaskot saying that Jaime made everyone happy.
"She never failed to make all of us smile and make us all happy," Nicole said, "She was good at every sport she played and she's beautiful and we'll never forget her and how amazing she was."
According to Jaime's coach Mira Wong, the death came as a shock which could not be expressed in words.
"I don't think there are any words that can kind of describe, you know, the shock that we're in," Wong said.
Jaime was about to start her 10th grade as the new school sessions start next week. Jaime might have taken inspiration from her mother about being active in sports. Her mother is presently the head of the Physical Education department at her school.
An investigation was conducted by the department of leisure to ensure a safe playing environment. All the goal posts were examined as a security measure. It was declared after the inspection that every football goal post was in stable condition.
Jaime's friends expressed their feelings on social network. Jessica Auerbach tweeted that she was lucky to have known Jaime.
"Heaven truly gained the most amazing angel," she wrote.
Maddie posted Jamie's photo along with her playmates and wrote that she was "one of the most beautiful and incredible athletes."
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- How Australian Father Stabbed 11-Year-Old Son Dead, More Details Emerge
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage