U.S. Woman Wins $66 Million in Lottery
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 1, 2014 8:48 PM EST
Kelsey Zachow, a 24-year-old single mother from the Unites States, won a $66 million [AUD71 million] jackpot.
The Mega Millions jackpot was drawn in the middle of June 2014, and she realised only on Thursday that it was her destiny to grab the winning amount.
Four thousand U.S. dollars are counted out by a banker counting currency at a bank in Westminster, Colorado November 3, 2009.
Even though the amount won is $66 million, Kelsey has to pay around $27 million [AUD29 million] for taxes.
However, this may be one of those rare occasions when someone will be happy to pay such a huge amount of tax as she will end being the owner of about $38 million after the deduction.
It was, however, difficult for Kelsey to believe that she was the winner.
"When the clerk at the store told me I had a big winner I was positive that he was mistaken," she said. "There was a long line in the store behind me, so I decided to leave and looked the numbers up ... when I got into my car. That's when I realized I had won the jackpot."
She said that she could "barely breathe" after realising what she got.
The multistate lottery was held on June 13. Kelsey bought the winning ticket at Sonny Tarhini's Mount Clemens gas station and store. She said that she jumped in her car and locked the door after she realised that she was the owner of the $66 million lottery. Then she said that she had pulled in the driveway only to get out and scream in excitement.
"My boyfriend thought I was in a car accident," she said.
Kelsey, on the other hand, came back to her senses to realise the importance of the ticket. She kept the ticket securely inside a safe after informing her dear ones about the big news. When asked what she would do with the money, Kelsey said that she would like to buy a new house. At the same time, she wants to go for a vacation in Europe and help the members of her family with the fortune she won.
"I have always wanted an electric blue Ford Mustang, and one day I will get one, but helping my family live comfortably comes first for me," the winner said.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar