U.S. Woman Wins $66 Million in Lottery
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 1, 2014 8:48 PM EST
Kelsey Zachow, a 24-year-old single mother from the Unites States, won a $66 million [AUD71 million] jackpot.
The Mega Millions jackpot was drawn in the middle of June 2014, and she realised only on Thursday that it was her destiny to grab the winning amount.
Four thousand U.S. dollars are counted out by a banker counting currency at a bank in Westminster, Colorado November 3, 2009.
Even though the amount won is $66 million, Kelsey has to pay around $27 million [AUD29 million] for taxes.
However, this may be one of those rare occasions when someone will be happy to pay such a huge amount of tax as she will end being the owner of about $38 million after the deduction.
It was, however, difficult for Kelsey to believe that she was the winner.
"When the clerk at the store told me I had a big winner I was positive that he was mistaken," she said. "There was a long line in the store behind me, so I decided to leave and looked the numbers up ... when I got into my car. That's when I realized I had won the jackpot."
She said that she could "barely breathe" after realising what she got.
The multistate lottery was held on June 13. Kelsey bought the winning ticket at Sonny Tarhini's Mount Clemens gas station and store. She said that she jumped in her car and locked the door after she realised that she was the owner of the $66 million lottery. Then she said that she had pulled in the driveway only to get out and scream in excitement.
"My boyfriend thought I was in a car accident," she said.
Kelsey, on the other hand, came back to her senses to realise the importance of the ticket. She kept the ticket securely inside a safe after informing her dear ones about the big news. When asked what she would do with the money, Kelsey said that she would like to buy a new house. At the same time, she wants to go for a vacation in Europe and help the members of her family with the fortune she won.
"I have always wanted an electric blue Ford Mustang, and one day I will get one, but helping my family live comfortably comes first for me," the winner said.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes