U.S. Woman Wins $66 Million in Lottery
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 1, 2014 8:48 PM EST
Kelsey Zachow, a 24-year-old single mother from the Unites States, won a $66 million [AUD71 million] jackpot.
The Mega Millions jackpot was drawn in the middle of June 2014, and she realised only on Thursday that it was her destiny to grab the winning amount.
Four thousand U.S. dollars are counted out by a banker counting currency at a bank in Westminster, Colorado November 3, 2009.
Even though the amount won is $66 million, Kelsey has to pay around $27 million [AUD29 million] for taxes.
However, this may be one of those rare occasions when someone will be happy to pay such a huge amount of tax as she will end being the owner of about $38 million after the deduction.
It was, however, difficult for Kelsey to believe that she was the winner.
"When the clerk at the store told me I had a big winner I was positive that he was mistaken," she said. "There was a long line in the store behind me, so I decided to leave and looked the numbers up ... when I got into my car. That's when I realized I had won the jackpot."
She said that she could "barely breathe" after realising what she got.
The multistate lottery was held on June 13. Kelsey bought the winning ticket at Sonny Tarhini's Mount Clemens gas station and store. She said that she jumped in her car and locked the door after she realised that she was the owner of the $66 million lottery. Then she said that she had pulled in the driveway only to get out and scream in excitement.
"My boyfriend thought I was in a car accident," she said.
Kelsey, on the other hand, came back to her senses to realise the importance of the ticket. She kept the ticket securely inside a safe after informing her dear ones about the big news. When asked what she would do with the money, Kelsey said that she would like to buy a new house. At the same time, she wants to go for a vacation in Europe and help the members of her family with the fortune she won.
"I have always wanted an electric blue Ford Mustang, and one day I will get one, but helping my family live comfortably comes first for me," the winner said.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports