U.S. Woman Wins $66 Million in Lottery
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 1, 2014 8:48 PM EST
Kelsey Zachow, a 24-year-old single mother from the Unites States, won a $66 million [AUD71 million] jackpot.
The Mega Millions jackpot was drawn in the middle of June 2014, and she realised only on Thursday that it was her destiny to grab the winning amount.
Four thousand U.S. dollars are counted out by a banker counting currency at a bank in Westminster, Colorado November 3, 2009.
Even though the amount won is $66 million, Kelsey has to pay around $27 million [AUD29 million] for taxes.
However, this may be one of those rare occasions when someone will be happy to pay such a huge amount of tax as she will end being the owner of about $38 million after the deduction.
It was, however, difficult for Kelsey to believe that she was the winner.
"When the clerk at the store told me I had a big winner I was positive that he was mistaken," she said. "There was a long line in the store behind me, so I decided to leave and looked the numbers up ... when I got into my car. That's when I realized I had won the jackpot."
She said that she could "barely breathe" after realising what she got.
The multistate lottery was held on June 13. Kelsey bought the winning ticket at Sonny Tarhini's Mount Clemens gas station and store. She said that she jumped in her car and locked the door after she realised that she was the owner of the $66 million lottery. Then she said that she had pulled in the driveway only to get out and scream in excitement.
"My boyfriend thought I was in a car accident," she said.
Kelsey, on the other hand, came back to her senses to realise the importance of the ticket. She kept the ticket securely inside a safe after informing her dear ones about the big news. When asked what she would do with the money, Kelsey said that she would like to buy a new house. At the same time, she wants to go for a vacation in Europe and help the members of her family with the fortune she won.
"I have always wanted an electric blue Ford Mustang, and one day I will get one, but helping my family live comfortably comes first for me," the winner said.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Tigerair Australia, AFP Evicts Male Passenger For Terrorism-Themed Drawings Amid High Terror Alert
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?