Star Wars – Top 10 Droids from the Movies and Animation Series [Watch Video]
By Sachin Trivedi | August 1, 2014 6:31 PM EST
Movie buffs may remember C-3PO and R2-D2 from the "Star Wars" movies. But the franchise has many other droids that were able to capture the imagination of the viewers. Here is a look at the top 10 droids that fans have encountered watching the movies and the animation series.
So far there have been six "Star Wars" movies and animation series covering the period of the Clone Wars. The Editors of the official Star Wars Web Site have compiled a list of droids based on their impact on the story, personality and cool factor.
The droid Chopper from the upcoming animation series "Star Wars" Rebels" has not been a contender for this list. The list has been described as "not officially official." The list of droids includes assassin droids to medical droids seen in the movies and the animation series.
Droid #10: AZI - 3
Fans of the franchise who have seen the "Star Wars: Clone Wars" series will remember seeing AZI - 3 helping the clone trooper Fives discover the secret behind his friend and fellow soldier losing control during a battle.
Droid #09: 2-1B Surgical Droid
The 2-1B surgical droids were seen helping Luke Skywalker get a robotic arm after he loses his right arm in a duel with Darth Vader. The droid was also seen operating on Anakin Skywalker after he was critically wounded in a battle. He fighting his former mentor and friend Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Droid #08: Buzz Droid
Buzz droids are used in battle and are part of a missile. Readers who have seen the movie "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" will remember seeing the droids in the opening scene when Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi attempt to board General Grievous's ship.
Droid #7: IG-88
The IG-88 is an assassin droid first seen in the original trilogy as part of a group of bounty hunters hired by Darth Vader to track Luke Skywalker and his friends. Fans of the franchise who have played the "Star Wars" games will also be familiar with this droid.
Droid #6: Battle Droid
Used extensively by the Trade Federation. The Battle droids are mostly ineffective against the Jedi in small numbers but pose a threat as part of an invading army, as seen in the movie "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace."
Droid #5: Imperial Probe Droid
The imperial probe droids were seen in the original trilogy when they were used to find the Rebel Alliance base in the Hoth system.
Droid #4: Droideka
Armed with shield generators the Droideka pose a challenge even to a powerful Jedi. The droids are also used by the Trade Federation.
Droid #3: Huyang
The droid Huyang was seen in the animation series "Star Wars: Clone Wars." The droid helps young Jedi trainees to make their first Lightsaber.
Droid #2 and #1: C-3PO and R2-D2
Perhaps the two most recognizable droids from the "Star Wars" universe, the C-3PO and R2-D2 are seen in all the movies from the franchise and also featured in the animation series. The droids have helped save Luke and Anakin Skywalker on countless occasions.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Spoilers: Curly Hair Bachelorette’s Exit In Episode 16, Blake Talks About Laurina And Why He Rubbed His Eye
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2