2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
By Jenalyn Villamarin | August 1, 2014 4:35 PM EST
The 2014 Perseid meteor shower is set to peak on Aug. 12 to 13 but the viewing experience of the sky display is suggested to be done before the meteor shower peak schedule. A Supermoon is also set to take place on the Perseid meteor shower peak schedule where the full moon's brightness will get in the way of the observers' viewing experience.
Over 100 Perseid meteors are expected to be visible per hour during its peak with NASA (National Aeronuatics and Space Administration) describing the meteor shower display as one of the best meteor showers to be observed with fast and bright meteors produced. However, the appearance of the bright Supermoon will diminish the meteor shower display.
It is now suggested that observers should be viewing the Perseid meteor shower display before the Supermoon occurs. "This is bad news for the Perseids. Lunar glare wipes out the black-velvety backdrop required to see faint meteors, and sharply reduces counts," Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office stated in a Red Orbit report.
However, Bill Cooke assured that the Perseids will still be visible despite the brightness of the Supermoon. "The Perseids are rich in fireballs as bright as Jupiter or Venus," Cooke explained.
The space agency further claimed that those in the northern hemisphere will have the best viewing experience of the 2014 Perseid meteor shower. Observers should head to a dark location that is far away from the bright city lights. Meanwhile, astronomers suggest that observers should not use cell phones while viewing the meteor shower display so their eyes will be able to adjust faster.
After the double treat of the 2014 Perseid meteor shower and the Supermoon in the night sky, the Orionids meteor shower will be the next sky display that observers should look out for. The Epoch Times report claims the meteor shower will kick off on Oct. 2, 2014 and last until Nov. 7, 2014 with the peak scheduled from Oct. 21 to 22. For the 2014 Orionids meteor shower, NASA assured that no full moon not obstructing the dark skies will offer the sky watchers a favorable viewing experience of the bright and quick meteor shower display.
More Articles to Read:
Viral Video Dancing Old Man: Grandpa Throws Away Canes to Show He Can Still Dance [WATCH VIDEO] - [READ]
UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO] - [READ]
Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO] - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Tigerair Australia, AFP Evicts Male Passenger For Terrorism-Themed Drawings Amid High Terror Alert
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?