Angry Usain Bolt Hits Back on Twitter Over Report on Commonwealth Games 2014 Remarks, Transcript of Interview Published
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | August 1, 2014 3:16 PM EST
Usain Bolt of Jamaica celebrates next to the scoreboard after setting a new world record in the men's 100 meters race next at the Reebok Grand Prix athletics meet in New York, May 31, 2008.
The Jamaican sprinter was put in hot waters after The Times published that he was not really having fun in Scotland. According to the report, Bolt stated that the Commonwealth Games 2014 were "a bit s***" and went on to his car. The Web site also quoted the sprinter saying that Olympic Games were better.
In his anger, Usain Bolt turned to the social media Twitter and said to his 3.42 million followers: "I'm waking up to this nonsense.. journalist please don't create lies to make headlines." Ricky Simms, Usain Bolt's manager, immediately defended him and insisted that the report was "utter rubbish."
But according to Independent, The Times Scottish editor Angus Macleod stood by the story "100 percent." When the newspaper published the transcript of the interview for the first time after the slur remarks erupted, several Web sites suggested that the star sprinter was referring to the weather not the Commonwealth Games when he made the controversial remark.
Daily Record noted that in the print edition of the newspaper, The Times added the description (shrugs, looks up to grey sky) which was noticeably absent when the story was first appeared online. The Web site also mentioned that that conversation between Usain Bolt and Time Times reporter was not recorded on tape. There was also no mention whether the reporter did a short hand while the sprinter was talking.
A copy of the interview transcript between Usain Bolt and The Times reporter can be found from The Independent by clicking here.
In less than 24 hours after being put in the hot seat, the Jamaican sprinter made a thunder bolt u-turn and praised the Commonwealth Games. He stated in the social media Twitter that the Games was "awesome" after watching the Jamaican netball team at the SECC..
Chief Executive of the Commonwealth Games Federation Mike Hooper stated to Independent that he accepted Usain Bolt's version of the story.
"We take Mr. Bolt at his word. We're very pleased with how he's responded and that's our position," the chief executive stated.
Read the tweets below:
I'm waking up to this nonsense..journalist please don't create lies to make headlines
— Usain St. Leo Bolt (@usainbolt) July 30, 2014
Awesome @BBCSport: Watch @usainbolt describe #Glasgow2014 as "awesome" (UK users only) http://t.co/ifbhJJSkSQ pic.twitter.com/uYBc6ScmPT" — Usain St. Leo Bolt (@usainbolt) July 30, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone