UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 1, 2014 2:33 PM EST
Anderson Silva is back. After consecutive losses and the gruesome injury he suffered in Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) 168 main event fight against Chris Weidman in December, the former middleweight champion will return to the octagon ring on Jan. 31. The Brazilian mixed martial artist will headline the main event of UFC 183 in a 185-pound bout against returning UFC fighter Nick Diaz.
MMA: UFC 168-Weidman vs Silva
During a televised phone interview with ESPN, UFC president Dana White announced that Silva has already been given clearance to fight by his doctors. White also made the announcement that Diaz will also be returning to fight in the cage.
Evidently, both Silva and Diaz came from two consecutive losses. Silva fought twice in 2013 and lost both fights against Weidman, while Diaz also suffered consecutive losses against Carlos Condit and Georges St. Pierre in 2012 and 2013, respectively. Since Diaz's loss, he announced his retirement from the sport and has not fought since. Silva, on the other hand, will have a total of 13 months to fully condition his body for his thrilling UFC return.
According to White, the fight was just finalised a few minutes before he made the revelation on national TV. He said that Silva was pretty happy about the fight deal. "We just have lunch and literally made this fight five minutes ago, and Anderson Silva feels great," said White. The UFC president also added that Silva is "100% healthy and kicking again." White said that Silva is happy and motivated to return in the UFC.
Fans and sports personalities have been going crazy on Twitter since the news broke. See some of their reactions below.
Nick Diaz vs. Anderson Silva would be way better at a catchweight of 180lbs. I'm actually really frustrated it isn't.— Alan/AECK (@Audax819) August 1, 2014
Problem with announcing Nick Diaz vs. Silva on SportsCenter in July? Fight is so far away it's not even possible to mark it on a calendar— Jonathan Snowden (@mmaencyclopedia) July 29, 2014
Nick Diaz proves to be a man of his word. Since UFC 158, he said: a) he's only coming back vs. GSP or Silva and b) if he gets a new deal.— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) July 29, 2014
Nick Diaz vs Anderson Silva! Ladies and gentlemen, we have a MEGA FIGHT! #UFC— David Loiseau (@DavidLoiseau) July 30, 2014
Anderson Silva vs Nick Diaz end of January!!! I'd pay today and everyday to see that fight!!! Can't wait— Jay Glazer (@JayGlazer) July 29, 2014
Silva is 33-6 in his career, while Diaz is 26-9(1). The fight between the two may not be a championship match but it is anticipated to become one of the most-watched UFC event because fans of the sport will be looking forward to witness Silva fight again after a long hiatus.
Silva's manager, Ed Soares, reportedly played a role in making the fight between Silva and Diaz happen. Soares thought "it makes sense" that the two fighters clash. Soares initially voiced the idea to UFC chief executive officer Lorenzo Fertitta and it became a reality as planned.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James