Big Bang Theory Production on Hold as Actors Demand Pay Hike
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 1, 2014 1:19 PM EST
CBS Comedy The Big Bang Theory's production has been put on hold as its lead actors are having a contract dispute.
One of the most successful comedy shows on the U.S. television has an ensemble cast of Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, Johnny Galecki, Kunal Nayyar and Simon Helberg. According to reports, the Warner Brothers Television Studio has not yet signed a new contract with the actors. As a result, the actors have stopped shooting for the eighth season of the show. The show, which is about "geeks and their girls," discovered that their actors did not turn up at the job on the first day of the production.
Actor Jim Parsons poses with the Best Actor in a Comedy Series for "The Big Bang Theory" at the 4th annual Critics' Choice Television Awards in Beverly Hills, California June 19, 2014.
The studio issued a statement on Wednesday, July 30 that clarified that the production of the popular comedy show had been officially postponed. "Due to on-going contract negotiations, production on The Big Bang Theory - which was originally scheduled to begin today - has been postponed," the statement said. The studio was apparently taken aback to know that the actors had not appeared on the set for the inaugural table read for the new schedule. The studio, after working with the set of actors for seven seasons, may have expected that the actors would appear for the job whether contracts were signed or not.
This comes as a setback for the fans as there is still no update how long the production is going to be postponed. The studio has apparently started the procedure of securing new deals with the actors. The issue arose when Galecki, Cuoco and Parsons decided to negotiate together for a much fatter pay cheque. The famous trio of the show presently earn $325,000 for each episode. However, according to insiders, they are asking for as big as $1 million for each episode. Even Nayyar and Helberg are apparently working together on a hike in their salary.
Did you know?
More than 10 years back, each of the six actors of F.R.I.E.N.D.S was paid $1 million for each episode in Season 9 & 10. As a result, the lead actresses (Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courtney Cox) became the highest paid TV actresses of all time.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet