Richard Lee Norris: The Inspirational Life of One Man Who Became the Face of GQ Magazine Post Full Face Transplant [Watch Video]
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | August 1, 2014 12:40 PM EST
We know that ‘fortune favours the brave’ and he comes across as a courageous man indeed.
Richard Lee Norris met with a devastating shot gun accident in 1997 which damaged his teeth, nose and jaw severely. He accidentally shot himself while having an argument with his mother in his home.
After living 15 long years in isolation with a distorted face and a bleeding heart, he wanted to challenge his fate. For all these sixteen years he used to hide behind a mask and only during night he could shop.
He is the first one in the world who underwent full face transplant. Doctors at Maryland Medical Centre have given him a second chance to live life after completing one of the most complex face transplants till date.
His immensely motivating story doesn’t end at this point though. After a successful recovery, Richard has made it to the cover of GQ magazine.
According to the report by The Huffinton Post, Richard Lee Norris said, "when I look in the mirror, I see Richard Norris. People used to stare at me because of my disfigurement. Now they stare at me in amazement and in the transformation I have taken.”
Norris went through 36-hour operation in 2012 which involved 150 medical staff at the University of Maryland Medical Center. This surgery was led by surgeon Eduardo Rodriguez.
He said that that he would be ever grateful to the family of Joshua Aversano, 21, who died after being hit by a van and turned into a donor for Norris’s transplantation.
Even though Norris needs to spend rest of his life on immunosuppressant drugs but his miraculous journey will splash some dazzling rays of hopes for many others.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner's Secret To A Slim and Sexy Body: All About Her Diet And Fitness Routine [Watch Video]
- Sleep Deprivation Among Teens Is The Main Cause of Low Academic Performance, Bad Behaviour And Lethargy, Finds Study
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Pilgrimage To Mecca: The Latest Health and Travel Advice For Muslim Hajj And Umrah With Regard To MERS-CoV
- Bill Gates Believes Ebola Could Spread Outside West Africa, Warns Countries Should Strengthen Healthcare
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate