Richard Lee Norris: The Inspirational Life of One Man Who Became the Face of GQ Magazine Post Full Face Transplant [Watch Video]
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | August 1, 2014 12:40 PM EST
We know that ‘fortune favours the brave’ and he comes across as a courageous man indeed.
Richard Lee Norris met with a devastating shot gun accident in 1997 which damaged his teeth, nose and jaw severely. He accidentally shot himself while having an argument with his mother in his home.
After living 15 long years in isolation with a distorted face and a bleeding heart, he wanted to challenge his fate. For all these sixteen years he used to hide behind a mask and only during night he could shop.
He is the first one in the world who underwent full face transplant. Doctors at Maryland Medical Centre have given him a second chance to live life after completing one of the most complex face transplants till date.
His immensely motivating story doesn’t end at this point though. After a successful recovery, Richard has made it to the cover of GQ magazine.
According to the report by The Huffinton Post, Richard Lee Norris said, "when I look in the mirror, I see Richard Norris. People used to stare at me because of my disfigurement. Now they stare at me in amazement and in the transformation I have taken.”
Norris went through 36-hour operation in 2012 which involved 150 medical staff at the University of Maryland Medical Center. This surgery was led by surgeon Eduardo Rodriguez.
He said that that he would be ever grateful to the family of Joshua Aversano, 21, who died after being hit by a van and turned into a donor for Norris’s transplantation.
Even though Norris needs to spend rest of his life on immunosuppressant drugs but his miraculous journey will splash some dazzling rays of hopes for many others.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: Ebola Spreads Through Sneeze and Cough Droplets And Toilet Seats
- Red Cross Aussie Nurse Says Australia’s Ebola Visa Ban Is Embarrassing
- New Zealand Develops New Drug To Fight 'Superbugs'
- Australia Does Not Have Ebola Drug ZMapp And That Is Alright, Experts Say
- New Zealand PM Calls Homeopathic Remedy For Ebola 'Barking Mad'
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]