Richard Lee Norris: The Inspirational Life of One Man Who Became the Face of GQ Magazine Post Full Face Transplant [Watch Video]
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | August 1, 2014 12:40 PM EST
We know that ‘fortune favours the brave’ and he comes across as a courageous man indeed.
Richard Lee Norris met with a devastating shot gun accident in 1997 which damaged his teeth, nose and jaw severely. He accidentally shot himself while having an argument with his mother in his home.
After living 15 long years in isolation with a distorted face and a bleeding heart, he wanted to challenge his fate. For all these sixteen years he used to hide behind a mask and only during night he could shop.
He is the first one in the world who underwent full face transplant. Doctors at Maryland Medical Centre have given him a second chance to live life after completing one of the most complex face transplants till date.
His immensely motivating story doesn’t end at this point though. After a successful recovery, Richard has made it to the cover of GQ magazine.
According to the report by The Huffinton Post, Richard Lee Norris said, "when I look in the mirror, I see Richard Norris. People used to stare at me because of my disfigurement. Now they stare at me in amazement and in the transformation I have taken.”
Norris went through 36-hour operation in 2012 which involved 150 medical staff at the University of Maryland Medical Center. This surgery was led by surgeon Eduardo Rodriguez.
He said that that he would be ever grateful to the family of Joshua Aversano, 21, who died after being hit by a van and turned into a donor for Norris’s transplantation.
Even though Norris needs to spend rest of his life on immunosuppressant drugs but his miraculous journey will splash some dazzling rays of hopes for many others.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola News Regarding Wortham's Kindergarterners Infected is False, Angry Reactions
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar