Detroit Tigers Acquire David Price in Three Team Deal with Seattle Mariners and Tampa Bay Rays
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 1, 2014 11:43 AM EST
Tampa Bay Rays starting pitcher David Price is heading to the Detroit Tigers after he was dealt in a three team trade with the Seattle Mariners and the Rays.
Jul 30, 2014; St. Petersburg, FL, USA; Tampa Bay Rays starting pitcher David Price (14) throws a pitch during the second inning against the Milwaukee Brewers at Tropicana Field.
According to Yahoo! Sports, the CY Young Award winner was sent in exchange for center fielder Austin Jackson to Seattle while Tampa Bay receives left hander Drew Smyly, Willy Adames and Nick Franklin. Price quickly acknowledged the transfer on his official Twitter account Thursday.
wow...what a day!! Rays fans THANK YOU!! Great Chapter of my life just ended...ready to start a new one with the Tigers!! Thanks again— David Price (@DAVIDprice14) July 31, 2014
Observers around the league opine that the Tigers came out the big winners of the exchange with Tampa Bay not getting enough value for its star. Seattle was able to add a rotation cog to their mix by acting as facilitator for the three team deal. The said trade was completed just in time before the 4 p.m. deadline.
The Tigers are adding Price, the 2012 recipient of the American League Cy Young Award, to a roster that already includes 2011 Cy Young winner Justin Verlander and 2013 Cy Young honoree Max Scherzer. The Tigers are currently atop the AL Central Standings and are protecting a five game lead.
Center fielder Jackson was pulled from Detroit's game yesterday against the Chicago White Sox which was a sign that the talented athlete was being moved. Before he exited to the dugout he was seen hugging teammates.
"It's kind of a weird moment right there taking that last jog off the field knowing that's pretty much the last time I will be running off in a Tigers uniform," Jackson said.
Verlander, one of the leaders of the team welcomes the addition of Price and acknowledges the intangibles and talent as a pitcher the new addition would provide the team. He his also acquainted with Price and knows he will be a strong locker room voice.
The move is seen as an insurance policy for Scherzer who is set to become a free agent this winter after declining a reported $144 million, six year offer from the Tigers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Manchester United Owners Set To Sell Club In £3B Deal After Acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo, Report Says
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- Ukraine Under Pressure To Accept EU Brokered Gas Deal With Russia: Resists High Prices Demanded By Russia