Detroit Tigers Acquire David Price in Three Team Deal with Seattle Mariners and Tampa Bay Rays
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 1, 2014 11:43 AM EST
Tampa Bay Rays starting pitcher David Price is heading to the Detroit Tigers after he was dealt in a three team trade with the Seattle Mariners and the Rays.
Jul 30, 2014; St. Petersburg, FL, USA; Tampa Bay Rays starting pitcher David Price (14) throws a pitch during the second inning against the Milwaukee Brewers at Tropicana Field.
According to Yahoo! Sports, the CY Young Award winner was sent in exchange for center fielder Austin Jackson to Seattle while Tampa Bay receives left hander Drew Smyly, Willy Adames and Nick Franklin. Price quickly acknowledged the transfer on his official Twitter account Thursday.
wow...what a day!! Rays fans THANK YOU!! Great Chapter of my life just ended...ready to start a new one with the Tigers!! Thanks again— David Price (@DAVIDprice14) July 31, 2014
Observers around the league opine that the Tigers came out the big winners of the exchange with Tampa Bay not getting enough value for its star. Seattle was able to add a rotation cog to their mix by acting as facilitator for the three team deal. The said trade was completed just in time before the 4 p.m. deadline.
The Tigers are adding Price, the 2012 recipient of the American League Cy Young Award, to a roster that already includes 2011 Cy Young winner Justin Verlander and 2013 Cy Young honoree Max Scherzer. The Tigers are currently atop the AL Central Standings and are protecting a five game lead.
Center fielder Jackson was pulled from Detroit's game yesterday against the Chicago White Sox which was a sign that the talented athlete was being moved. Before he exited to the dugout he was seen hugging teammates.
"It's kind of a weird moment right there taking that last jog off the field knowing that's pretty much the last time I will be running off in a Tigers uniform," Jackson said.
Verlander, one of the leaders of the team welcomes the addition of Price and acknowledges the intangibles and talent as a pitcher the new addition would provide the team. He his also acquainted with Price and knows he will be a strong locker room voice.
The move is seen as an insurance policy for Scherzer who is set to become a free agent this winter after declining a reported $144 million, six year offer from the Tigers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices