Kevin Durant: Anthony Davis is Next in Line for MVP
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 1, 2014 11:18 AM EST
The league's reigning MVP sees something special in Anthony Davis to proclaim him next in line to among the NBA's elite.
May 29, 2014; San Antonio, TX, USA; Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant (35) shoots over San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan (21) during the first half in game five of the Western Conference Finals of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at AT&T Center.
According to recent profile of Anthony Davis made by SLAM magazine, the report delved into the exchange of messages between Davis and Durant. After winning the Maurice Podoloff trophy for the first time in his young career, Durant received a flurry of congratulatory messages, one of which came from Davis. What was telling was Durant's reply to the lanky forward-center.
"You on your way to get it," read Durant's text message back to Davis.
The compliments obviously stunned the new Orleans Pelicans star.
"It was shocking," Davis said. "For a guy who knows what it takes to win an MVP award, telling me that I'm on my way, it means he sees something in me. That means a lot, especially from one of the best players in the league right now, if not the best. It just meant a lot. It made me want to work even harder."
NBA.com reports that Durant for his part expounded that his anointment will come as no surprise given the tons of potential in the versatile All-star. Durant and Davis have become good friends as well given their stint the previous All-star game and the ongoing training camp for the 2014 FIBA World Championships which will be held in Spain. The 6-10 sophomore player was one of the revelations of last year posting career highs of 20.8 points, 10 rebounds a league best 2.8 blocks. What was remarkable was his improvement from 15 feet and beyond where he showed a shooting form that is virtually unguardable due to his length and release.
Even though Davis registered a double-double for the season, the Pelicans still were not able to qualify for the playoffs due to an assortment of injuries to players such as Jrue Holiday, Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson, key cogs to the offense that registered the highest in the league when those three are paired with Davis and Tyreke Evans. The Pelicans are hoping that good health and the addition of another rim protecting presence in Omer Asik will bring the youthful Pelicans into the promise land.
Davis for his part has noticeably grown in bulk and size now weighing at around 240 pounds and adding muscle to his thin frame. This was a result of countless hours in the weight room. This dedication to improve must be the main thing that the current MVP sees to anoint the Unibrow as next in line in the succession of the NBA's greats.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date