Graeme Hart Richest Kiwi in NBR Rich List 2014
By Kalyan Kumar | August 1, 2014 10:26 AM EST
New Zealand's much awaited National Business Review (NBR) Rich List of 2014 is out. The new rich list has Auckland-based billionaire Graeme Hart at the top. Hart retained his top slot this year too and added more wealth than last year. His wealth is $7 billion, up by $600 million compared to 2013.
Reserve Bank of New Zealand dollar notes are pictured in Singapore in this June 22, 2006 file photo.
The combined wealth of all those featured on NBR Rich list is $51.2 billion. The list of 2013 had a combined value of wealth at $47.9 billion.
According to Nevil Gibson, the editor-in-chief of National Business Review, this year has been prosperous for New Zealand and looks like an exception from rest of the world. The NBR rich list shows that most of the rich have become richer. So have others.
In the NBR list, the second position goes to Singapore-based investor Richard Chandler, while the third position is claimed by the Todd family, and at the fourth slot comes the family of Michael Erceg, late liquor baron.
As for the richest woman, the title is claimed by San Francisco-based expatriate Victoria Ransom who is placed at 36th with her $300 million. Ransom sold her social media company Wildfire to Google in 2012.
The list also features 13 newcomers.
The Prime Minister John Key has a place in the list with his $55 million and another National MP Ian McKelvie also finds a place with $50 million.
The noticeable omission from the rich list was Kim Dotcom whose wealth was hard to assess.
The NBR Rich List will put on sale from Friday.
One major highlight of the list is the debut of Josef Roberts, propelled by his business of Burgers and Red Bull. Josef boasts of $100 million in wealth. He moved his focus from energy drinks to BurgerFuel.
In an interview, Roberts described himself as a self-made man. According to him, life is enormously challenging yet exciting too. If one can overcome the fear of criticism and failure success will not be very far. It is easy to look back but it is harder to look ahead into the future. For Josef trying to do something for the future is a second nature.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar