Serena Williams Admitted that Sister Venus Williams Demanded her to Leave the Court at Wimbledon
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | July 31, 2014 11:39 PM EST
Finally, Serena Williams broke her silence about the viral illness, which made her retire in the women's doubles at Wimbledon, after serving four double faults in a single game.
Serena Williams of the U.S. competes in a women's singles match against Garbine Muguruza of Spain at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris May 28, 2014.
The 17-time Grand Slam champion was with the former world no.1 also her elder sister Venus Williams. It was hard for Serena to stand properly, more so to hit the ball.
The 32-year old claimed that at that time, she was afraid and she did not know what she felt.
"It was interesting and I was scared after," Serena said. "I didn't realize how I felt until later. In the moment, I didn't realize how sick I was. It's weird but that's the fight in me. I never know when to say when," she added.
According to the tennis superstar, Venus told her to leave the match but she was hesitant.
"She kept saying, 'Walk off the court, I'm the older sister and I say you have to leave,'" the world no. 1 said. "I'm feeling really good right now and I'm happy to be here." Serena said she will undergo a series of tests at the end of the season.
"I was really ill," she said. "I got to thinking about a lot of things and because of family history, I'll get the tests done and we'll go from there."
In the past, Serena Williams missed a number of tournaments due to medical conditions.
In 2013, the same year that the tennis superstar completed a self-styled "Serena Slam" by winning four consecutive titles, Williams missed eight months of tour due surgery on her left knee. In 2010, a couple of days after winning Wimbledon, she cut her feet on broken glass while leaving a restaurant, which led to surgeries, complications and series of hospitalisations that led her off the tour for almost 10 months.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness