Serena Williams Admitted that Sister Venus Williams Demanded her to Leave the Court at Wimbledon
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | July 31, 2014 11:39 PM EST
Finally, Serena Williams broke her silence about the viral illness, which made her retire in the women's doubles at Wimbledon, after serving four double faults in a single game.
Serena Williams of the U.S. competes in a women's singles match against Garbine Muguruza of Spain at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris May 28, 2014.
The 17-time Grand Slam champion was with the former world no.1 also her elder sister Venus Williams. It was hard for Serena to stand properly, more so to hit the ball.
The 32-year old claimed that at that time, she was afraid and she did not know what she felt.
"It was interesting and I was scared after," Serena said. "I didn't realize how I felt until later. In the moment, I didn't realize how sick I was. It's weird but that's the fight in me. I never know when to say when," she added.
According to the tennis superstar, Venus told her to leave the match but she was hesitant.
"She kept saying, 'Walk off the court, I'm the older sister and I say you have to leave,'" the world no. 1 said. "I'm feeling really good right now and I'm happy to be here." Serena said she will undergo a series of tests at the end of the season.
"I was really ill," she said. "I got to thinking about a lot of things and because of family history, I'll get the tests done and we'll go from there."
In the past, Serena Williams missed a number of tournaments due to medical conditions.
In 2013, the same year that the tennis superstar completed a self-styled "Serena Slam" by winning four consecutive titles, Williams missed eight months of tour due surgery on her left knee. In 2010, a couple of days after winning Wimbledon, she cut her feet on broken glass while leaving a restaurant, which led to surgeries, complications and series of hospitalisations that led her off the tour for almost 10 months.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports