Samsung Galaxy S5 a Downer for Samsung as Phone Sales Slumps: What Happened
By Precious Silva | July 31, 2014 11:24 PM EST
Samsung Electronics Co. of South Korea is experiencing a sales slump amidst tough competition from Apple and rivals from China. Aside from fending off numerous rivals to maintain enough market share, additional woes are being experienced by Samsung due to the strength of its local currency. Also, a weaker-than-expected sales of the Samsung Galaxy S5 is not helping Samsung's cause.
New Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone (L), Gear 2 smartwatch (C) and Gear Fit fitness band are displayed at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 23, 2014. Samsung Electronics unveiled a new smart watch and fitness band along with the latest version of its flagship Galaxy smartphone on Monday, demonstrating how the battleground for innovation is shifting from the hand to the wrist. Picture taken on February 23. REUTERS/Albert Gea
There are several major issues that may be causing the consumers to think twice about buying the product.
1. Slow Camera App - Although the camera delivers excellent quality in terms of brighter and clearer images with the use of its picture stabilization feature, it made the camera capture function slower. In order to speed up the camera application, the picture stabilization mode has to be turned off. Apparently, this also turned off some potential buyers.
2. Camera Failure - Smartphones are kind of 'one-stop shops' nowadays. It has to have every single feature. In this selfie-obsessed generation, if the camera in the user's cellphone fails to load, that will cause a great deal of dissatisfaction.
3. Sluggish and Lackluster System - When a person's most trusted device, the one they take anywhere and everywhere starts to hang, it will definitely create a negative impact on consumers. When the device has many glitches, the user suffers.
It was said that even if the Samsung Galaxy S5 was considered to be the new and recent flagship of Samsung, its sales failed in comparison with the older iPhone 5s of Apple. In light of the recent reports that show decline in sales, Samsung executives were said to have returned a part of the bonuses this 2014. The managers take pride in their performance, so the move to return said bonuses was an act of good faith. Now, they plan to reverse the decline and ensure that the future direction will be upwards.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan