NBA News: Sacramento Kings Acquire Omri Casspi at League Minimum
By Lou Imperial | July 31, 2014 11:14 PM EST
The Sacramento Kings have reportedly signed Israeli forward Omri Casspi at a league minimum deal, a reliable league source disclosed on Thursday.
According to Marc Stein of ESPN, the Kings have cleverly signed Casspi to a one-year deal at a league minimum deal to keep them below the luxury tax threshold.
NBA: Sacramento Kings at New York Knicks
"The Kings had been at $75,852,705 in team salary, according to the latest estimates from Basketball Insiders, just $976,295 shy of the tax threshold," Hoops Rumors reported on Thursday.
"Casspi will make $1,063,384 as a five-year veteran at the minimum salary, but Sacramento will only be on the hook for the portion equivalent to the two-year veteran's minimum of $915,243, since it's a one-year contract. The league will pick up the tab for the rest."
Stein added the feeling is mutual between Casspi and the Kings to reunite after the Israeli star was traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers that saw his numbers took a significant nosedive.
"It nonetheless appears as though they maintained interest, and the feeling had been mutual for Casspi, who spoke in recent days of his fondness for a return to Sacramento," Stein reported via Hoops Rumors.
Casspi averaged 9.5 points in 24.5 minutes per game with 37.1% shooting in his first two seasons with the Kings. However, his numbers dropped to 4.0 points and 2.7 rebounds in his third season with the Cavs.
In his lone season with the Houston Rockets, Casspi had a sort of a bounced back year by averaging 6.9 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.2 assists while shooting 42 percent from the field in 18 minutes of action a game.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet