NBA News: Sacramento Kings Acquire Omri Casspi at League Minimum
By Lou Imperial | July 31, 2014 11:14 PM EST
The Sacramento Kings have reportedly signed Israeli forward Omri Casspi at a league minimum deal, a reliable league source disclosed on Thursday.
According to Marc Stein of ESPN, the Kings have cleverly signed Casspi to a one-year deal at a league minimum deal to keep them below the luxury tax threshold.
NBA: Sacramento Kings at New York Knicks
"The Kings had been at $75,852,705 in team salary, according to the latest estimates from Basketball Insiders, just $976,295 shy of the tax threshold," Hoops Rumors reported on Thursday.
"Casspi will make $1,063,384 as a five-year veteran at the minimum salary, but Sacramento will only be on the hook for the portion equivalent to the two-year veteran's minimum of $915,243, since it's a one-year contract. The league will pick up the tab for the rest."
Stein added the feeling is mutual between Casspi and the Kings to reunite after the Israeli star was traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers that saw his numbers took a significant nosedive.
"It nonetheless appears as though they maintained interest, and the feeling had been mutual for Casspi, who spoke in recent days of his fondness for a return to Sacramento," Stein reported via Hoops Rumors.
Casspi averaged 9.5 points in 24.5 minutes per game with 37.1% shooting in his first two seasons with the Kings. However, his numbers dropped to 4.0 points and 2.7 rebounds in his third season with the Cavs.
In his lone season with the Houston Rockets, Casspi had a sort of a bounced back year by averaging 6.9 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.2 assists while shooting 42 percent from the field in 18 minutes of action a game.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories