MLB Trades: St. Louis Cardinals Acquire Justin Masterson in Trade With Cleveland Indians
By Lou Imperial | July 31, 2014 11:12 PM EST
The St. Louis Cardinals acquired starting pitcher Justin Masterson from the Cleveland Indians in exchange for top prospect James Ramsey, a source close to situation reported on Thursday.
In an attempt to further bolster their starting rotation, the Cardinals pulled off a deal that would give them one of the most underrated pitchers in baseball for the past two seasons.
Masterson is having a down year with injuries, but his 2013 production 3.45 ERA with 9.1 K/9, 3.5 BB/9 and a 58.5 percent ground-ball rate in 193 innings suggests the kind of pitcher he is when healthy.
With Masterson's arrival, the Cardinals placed starting pitcher Michael Wacha on the 60-day Disabled List to make room for their newest hurler. Masterson has 5.51 ERA and a walk rate of 5.1 BB per nine innings. However, the Cards took a gamble on him because of Wacha's injury and Shelby Miller's struggle.
MLB Rumors revealed the Cardinals attempted to trade for Boston Red Sox hurlers Jake Peavy and Jon Lester, and even Tampa Bay Rays starter David Price.
"The Cardinals have been on the lookout for rotation help for weeks now, having also been connected to Jake Peavy as well as aces David Price and Jon Lester," MLB trade rumors reported on Thursday.
On the other hand, the Indians acquired a highly-touted prospect in the Cards farm. Ramsey, the 2012 first round pick, is ranked seventh among Cardinals prospects midway into the 2014 season according to Baseball America's midseason list.
The 24-year old Ramsey boasts a batting percentage of.300/.389/.527 with 13 homers in 281 Double-A plate appearances this season, and is raved about his speed as a center fielder.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists