MLB Trades: St. Louis Cardinals Acquire Justin Masterson in Trade With Cleveland Indians
By Lou Imperial | July 31, 2014 11:12 PM EST
The St. Louis Cardinals acquired starting pitcher Justin Masterson from the Cleveland Indians in exchange for top prospect James Ramsey, a source close to situation reported on Thursday.
In an attempt to further bolster their starting rotation, the Cardinals pulled off a deal that would give them one of the most underrated pitchers in baseball for the past two seasons.
Masterson is having a down year with injuries, but his 2013 production 3.45 ERA with 9.1 K/9, 3.5 BB/9 and a 58.5 percent ground-ball rate in 193 innings suggests the kind of pitcher he is when healthy.
With Masterson's arrival, the Cardinals placed starting pitcher Michael Wacha on the 60-day Disabled List to make room for their newest hurler. Masterson has 5.51 ERA and a walk rate of 5.1 BB per nine innings. However, the Cards took a gamble on him because of Wacha's injury and Shelby Miller's struggle.
MLB Rumors revealed the Cardinals attempted to trade for Boston Red Sox hurlers Jake Peavy and Jon Lester, and even Tampa Bay Rays starter David Price.
"The Cardinals have been on the lookout for rotation help for weeks now, having also been connected to Jake Peavy as well as aces David Price and Jon Lester," MLB trade rumors reported on Thursday.
On the other hand, the Indians acquired a highly-touted prospect in the Cards farm. Ramsey, the 2012 first round pick, is ranked seventh among Cardinals prospects midway into the 2014 season according to Baseball America's midseason list.
The 24-year old Ramsey boasts a batting percentage of.300/.389/.527 with 13 homers in 281 Double-A plate appearances this season, and is raved about his speed as a center fielder.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone