Why Apple's Mac Sold Despite Declining PC Value
By Precious Silva | July 31, 2014 11:07 PM EST
Statistical data indicates that there has been a decline in PC sales in recent years. Companies like Lenovo, Dell and even Sony have been affected by the recent slump. The decrease is apparently attributed to the success of smartphones and tablets in duplicating the tasks of a regular PC. In other words, what can be done by a PC can also be done using smartphones with the bonus of mobility.
Apple CEO Tim Cook introduces the IOS 8 operating system during his keynote address at the Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, California June 2, 2014. REUTERS/Robert Galbraith
Amidst a general decline in PC sales, Mac has fortunately been lucky enough to be unaffected by the trend. Mac doesn't seem to be bothered. Apple's quarterly report indicates that Mac has sold 4.4 million units according to The Next Digit, a substantial quantity considering the circumstances of this particular area in the industry. On the contrary, Mac is reported to have reached record sales, at least in the first part of 2014.
From Macbook to Macbook Pro to Macbook Pro with Retina display, Apple has been generally making hardware updates for their products. It has recently refreshed its Macbook with retina display by adding a slightly faster Intel Haswell processor. However, there is a general indifference to these tweaks. They are seen as minor upgrades that are not really revolutionary. What made the Mac extremely successful in the maintaining or even improving its sales, thus far, is its new focus on value according to Apple Insider.
Consumers find excitement in Apple's introduction to more affordable prices for the general public. First, Apple slashed $100 off its legendary Macbook Pro. It is now priced at only $1,099. The company has also slashed $100 off their top of the line 15-inch models. Not only are they trimming down prices, they are also doing some upgrades. An example of this would be the 13-inch Macbook Pro with retina display. They doubled the RAM to 8 gigabytes. The upgrade is a discount in itself because they put an improvement without increasing their price. Basically, the consumers are getting the good end of the deal: affordable with value added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon