Man Utd Transfer News: Blow for Red Devils as Dutch Defender Joins Lazio
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 31, 2014 10:08 PM EST
A big blow comes the way of Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal, after Netherlands defender Stefan de Vrij joined Lazio.
Arjen Robben (L) and Stefan de Vrij of the Netherlands celebrate after winning their 2014 World Cup third-place playoff against Brazil at the Brasilia national stadium in Brasilia July 12, 2014.
The former Bayern Munich manager recently revealed that he intends to sign a defender to fill the void caused by the exit of Red Devils veterans, which include Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand, and Nemanja Vidic.
The 22-year-old Dutch international started all of the 7 fixtures for the Oranje, en route to a third-place finish, forming a decent partnership with Ron Vlaar that saw them produce four clean sheets.
"Lazio really proved that they wanted me and I am very happy I have made this move. I hope to become a more complete defender in Italy," said de Vrij.
At club level, de Vrij was a consistent first-choice centre-back since the 2010/11 season for Feyenoord, making a total of 135 Eredivisie appearances since joining the senior squad in 2009.
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Manchester United Owners Set To Sell Club In £3B Deal After Acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo, Report Says
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- Ukraine Under Pressure To Accept EU Brokered Gas Deal With Russia: Resists High Prices Demanded By Russia