Man Utd Transfer News: Blow for Red Devils as Dutch Defender Joins Lazio
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 31, 2014 10:08 PM EST
A big blow comes the way of Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal, after Netherlands defender Stefan de Vrij joined Lazio.
Arjen Robben (L) and Stefan de Vrij of the Netherlands celebrate after winning their 2014 World Cup third-place playoff against Brazil at the Brasilia national stadium in Brasilia July 12, 2014.
The former Bayern Munich manager recently revealed that he intends to sign a defender to fill the void caused by the exit of Red Devils veterans, which include Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand, and Nemanja Vidic.
The 22-year-old Dutch international started all of the 7 fixtures for the Oranje, en route to a third-place finish, forming a decent partnership with Ron Vlaar that saw them produce four clean sheets.
"Lazio really proved that they wanted me and I am very happy I have made this move. I hope to become a more complete defender in Italy," said de Vrij.
At club level, de Vrij was a consistent first-choice centre-back since the 2010/11 season for Feyenoord, making a total of 135 Eredivisie appearances since joining the senior squad in 2009.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’