New Nokia XL (4G) Unveiled With Snapdragon 400 Processor, 1 GB RAM and More
By Pavithra Rathinavel | July 31, 2014 9:50 PM EST
Microsoft has introduced a new Nokia XL variant in China dubbed the Nokia XL 4G. As the name implies, it is a 4G LTE-variant of the Nokia XL handset released originally in May. For those unfamiliar, Microsoft announced earlier this month that Nokia X project that built Nokia X series of devices like Nokia X+, Nokia X2 and Nokia XL will be put to rest. Hence there is a good chance that Nokia XL 4G will be the final Nokia X phone from Microsoft.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella gestures as he speaks at the company's "build" conference in San Francisco in this file photo taken April 2, 2014. Microsoft Corp's new Chief Executive Satya Nadella likes to boast that Bing is growing and powers 30 percent of the Internet search market, making it a worthy competitor to Google Inc.
Aside from supporting 4G LTE, the Nokia XL 4G handset comes packed with improvements to specifications and features. However, Microsoft has not revealed as to when exactly the handset will see a global release or the pricing details of the latest Nokia XL 4G, according to NDTV.
Going by the information listed in Nokia China's official Web site and GSMArena, the Nokia XL 4G comes with a 5-inch LCD display and 480 x 800 pixels (WVGA) screen resolution. The pixel density of the Nokia XL 4G handset stands at 187 ppi. In addition, the device runs on the Nokia X software platform 1.1 UI on top of Android OS, the original 3G version runs on Nokia X software platform 1.0 UI.
The Nokia XL 4G handset is powered by a quad-core (Qualcomm MSM8926 Snapdragon 400) processor clocked at 1.2 GHz. Notably, the original Nokia XL version is powered by a relatively inferior dual-core (Qualcomm MSM8225 Snapdragon S4) Cortex-A5 processor clocked at 1 GHz.
In addition, the new version houses 1 GB of RAM instead of the original 768 MB of RAM. The device also features 4 GB of internal storage with microSD card support for expansion up to 32 GB. The smartphone sports a 5 MP rear-facing camera unit with LED flash and a 2 MP front-facing shooter.
Moreover, the Nokia XL 4G comes equipped with the same 2000 mAh battery unit. When it comes to colour, the device will come in black, green, white and yellow shades. Apparently, the new device will be lighter than its predecessor. The original Nokia XL weighs 190 g, while the latest 4G version weighs only 158 g.
It is worth mentioning that, Microsoft released the Nokia X software platform 1.2 update for Nokia X handsets in the beginning of this week. The new features that come bundled with this software update are app switcher, pre-installed Outlook and OneNote apps. In addition, the Nokia Store got updated with improved integration pertaining to third-party stores. Furthermore, the update also brings scroll-able widgets, functionality to reject calls via message, contact searching option from the dialler, direct upload to OneDrive facility and support for local/regional calendar, says NDTV.
2. New NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet vs. Nexus 7 - Specs, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown - [Read]
3. Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 Tablet's Successor With Snapdragon 805 Processor Likely Sighted in AnTuTu Benchmark Testing - [Read]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists