Liverpool FC Transfer News: Sunderland Keen on Signing Reds Striker
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 31, 2014 8:32 PM EST
Sunderland boss Gus Poyet confirmed that he is keen on acquiring last season's loanee and Liverpool striker Fabio Borini on a permanent basis.
The 23-year-old Italian moved to Anfield in 2012 from AS Roma, but failed to retain first-team status after being left on the sidelines for months due to a series of injuries.
Liverpool's Fabio Borini (R) leaves the field after being injured during their international friendly soccer match against AS Roma at Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts July 23, 2014. Fenway Park is the home of the MLB baseball team the Boston Red Sox.
He found his form, or at least a glimpse of it, when he joined the Black Cats last September, tallying 7 goals and 3 assists in 25 starts in the Premier League.
Poyet, however, revealed that a recent shoulder injury suffered in a preseason game against Roma slowed down negotiations.
"He is being assessed now for his shoulder injury. That's stopped everything a little bit,He is being assessed now for his shoulder injury. That's stopped everything a little bit," said the 46-year-old mentor.
"We will see. I have not held talks with him, but the club has, although that's private."
"We know where we stand."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Signs Using Odom’s Surname; Source Reveals Khloe Still ‘Proud’ Of Being Called Mrs. Odom