Penelope Cruz Clarifies Letter Labeling Israeli Forces in Gaza Strip as Terrorists
By Annie Dee | July 31, 2014 8:25 PM EST
Penelope Cruz and husband Javier Bardem, along with director Pedro Almodavar put their signatures on a letter (written in Spanish) openly criticizing the Israeli occupation army in the Gaza strip for the "genocide" that it is perpetrating against Palestinian civilians. This, along with the comments made by stars such as Selena Gomez, John Stewart and the like on the issue, was met with backslash. Penelope Cruz was quick to clarify her letter, even though she stood by her point.
Actor Javier Bardem (L) arrives with his wife actress Penelope Cruz (R) at the award ceremony of the 63rd Cannes Film Festival May 23, 2010.
A growing number of celebrities are openly expressing outrage by Israel's assault on Gaza. Many had to retract and clarify their statements afterwards because of the criticisms they received for "choosing" a side on the polarizing and political issue. Penelope Cruz is the latest celebrity to join in the fray. However, her method was unconventional. Instead of just issuing a statement or tweeting a sentiment against the atrocities, Penelope and her husband, along with director Pedro Almodovar all gave their signatures to a lengthy and harsh letter to express their condemnation.
Because of the criticisms the letter received, Penelope feels hard pressed to explain her side one day after the letter went live, Deadline reports. Penelope claims that her comments were hardly influenced or shaped by politics. Rather, the letter was penned out of humanitarian concerns. This goes without saying that Penelope is not picking a side at all, but would want the war to end because too many people, especially innocent kids are losing their lives.
"I don't want to be misunderstood on this important subject. I'm not an expert on the situation, and I'm aware of the complexity of it. My only wish and intention in signing that group letter is the hope that there will be peace in both Israel and Gaza. I am hopeful all parties can agree to a cease fire and there are no more innocent victims on either side of the border. I wish for unity, and peace. ... I believe in a civilization that can be capable of bringing the courage to have a world where humans can live side by side," said Penelope as reported by Deadline.com.
Printed by Europa Press as well as other Spanish news outlets, the letter accused of Israel of being a terrorist state, Belfast Telegraph UK reports. The letter also called for an "immediate ceasefire" and urged Israel to "life the blockade" imposed on the Gaza Strip for more than decade already. This is enough to drive pro-Israel camps into frenzy, criticizing pro-Palestinians as well as celebrities in general, who "chose a side" as woefully ignorant people.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS