iPhone 6 New Release to Come with Solar Display for Wireless Charging and Better Battery life
By Precious Silva | July 31, 2014 7:50 PM EST
Apple's iPhone 6 continue to confuse the market with its upcoming features. Previously, predictions established that the device will come with a sapphire display but the remains debatable with current market conditions. Nonetheless, a recent Apple investment also suggests that the company may be planning on including solar power capabilities on the iPhone 6 - problem is this may have require sapphire material. What does the future of the iPhone 6 spell?
A woman holds her new Apple iPhone 5S after buying it at an Apple Store at Tokyo's Ginza shopping district September 20, 2013.
Apple has reportedly been ramping up its green initiatives with more investments happening. The Maiden data center of the company in North Carolina draws up its power from a huge 20MW solar farm already. According to the Guardian, Apple has been working on managing its own power supply while also encouraging similar companies to do the same thing.
Apple has also transformed its data centers making them reliant on clean energy instead. With the initiative clear, the Guardian supposes that Apple will also be readying its upcoming devices like the iPhone 6 for solar power. Apple made it clear that it wants some green credit.
"We know that our customers expect us to do the right thing about these issues," the Guardian quoted Lisa Jackson - vice-president of environmental initiatives.
Jackson also noted that the company has been intent on reducing its carbon footprint. "If you are using your iPhone, iPad, Siri or downloading a song, you don't have to worry if you are contributing to the climate change problem in the world because Apple has already thought about that for you. We've taken care of that. We're using clean energy," Jackson added.
Despite the clean initiative, the sapphire future of the iPhone 6 hangs in the balance. LEDInside said that its data suggests that Apple may not be able to incorporate the sapphire material noting no significant movements in sapphire price and demand in the market. Patterned sapphire substrate (PSS) and substrate prices went down this July by as much as 5-10%. The research firm did say that things can still take a turn although there should be more changes if Apple will push through with the supply.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build