LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
By Precious Silva | July 31, 2014 7:22 PM EST
LG G2 user will be pleased to find out that the Android 4.4.4 KitKat update is coming their way. Major US carriers like Sprint, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile have all been reportedly been preparing for the roll out of the update to their G2s. For those who do not wish to wait for the notification or official access to the firmware, manual installation is always an option.
A sales assistant uses his mobile phone in front of mock LG electronics smart phones displayed at a store in Seoul July 22, 2014. South Korea's LG Electronics Inc said on July 24, 2014 its second-quarter profit rose 26.5 percent from a year earlier, beating analyst estimates, as the company's mobile business ran a profit for the first time in four quarters. Picture taken July 22. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji
For now, the manual installation option is only available to Verizon LG G2 owners. Other owners may have to wait for third party developers to tweak the build to suit their network settings. The unofficial build of 4.4.4 requires Verizon LG G2 owners to learn about ADB programming.
Users with ADB programming knowledge can proceed with the installation as noted by Auto Mobile. They only need to access and download the VS98012B KitKat ROM. The handset should be rooted already preferably through Autoprime. It is also important to back up the current Android version running on the device. This make it easier to return to the original platform should the user become dissatisfied with the update. Recovery tool should be installed while the device should be charged at least 80%.
Save the bin file and change the name. Transfer the folder from the computer to the G2 device. Input the ADB codes to proceed with installation. The LG G2 device will reboot before running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
Disclaimer: Providers of the update cannot be held responsible for what happens to the device following update. Users can upgrade at their own risk.
The LG G2 was released last August 2013. It offers the following features:
-True HD-IPS + LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
-1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.2 inches (~424 ppi pixel density)
-Android OS, v4.2.2 (Jelly Bean), upgradable to v4.4.2 (KitKat)
-Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800
-Quad-core 2.26 GHz Krait 400
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists