New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
By Athena Yenko | July 31, 2014 5:24 PM EST
A third Malaysia Airlines, flight 136, was involved in the latest air scare at Adelaide airport.
MH136 was about to depart Adelaide airport to Kuala Lumpur when it was instructed to terminate takeoff as a Tigerair plane is landing.
A woman reacts outside the Dutch embassy in Moscow July 18, 2014. World leaders demanded an international investigation into the shooting down of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 with 298 people on board over eastern Ukraine in a tragedy that could mark a pivotal moment in the worst crisis between Russia and the West since the Cold War. There were no survivors from Thursday's crash, which left wreckage and bodies scattered across miles of rebel-held territory near the border with Russia. More than half of the dead, 173 people, were Dutch.
The plane was preparing to leave Adelaide airport and already on takeoff roll when it received order from the Adelaide Air Traffic Control "to discontinue its takeoff as the inbound aircraft discontinued its landing and was infringing the vicinity of the takeoff path. Upon receiving the instruction, MH136 stopped safely," Malaysia Airlines said in a statement.
Reports of a "near-miss" had quickly spread across news portals. However, Air Services Australia refuted the reports. It explained that the Tigerair plane requested a "go-around" as it already recognise that its approach was wobbly.
"A go-around is a safe and well-practised manoeuvre that sees an aircraft discontinue its approach to the runway when landing. Additionally, and to ensure the continued safe operations at the airport, air traffic controllers requested an international flight discontinue its takeoff," a statement from the Air Services Australia said.
The incident happened following a report from Bloomberg that Malaysia Airlines is now suffering from numerous flight cancellations as people are now afraid to travel with the airline.
According to the report, travel agents from Melbourne to Singapore, New Delhi and even Malaysia, had reported a 20 per cent peak in cancellations.
Just recently, the Samoan's women' rugby team flew with Thai Airways International Pcl to France even with its previous booking with Malaysian Air.
Sera Mika, Samoan rugby team manager, said that their reaction was just natural for they worry for the team and that they have lost of concerns.
Ann Chitumbalam, manager at Escape Travel Sdn's branch in Petaling Jaya, said that her agency experienced a 30 per cent flight cancellation with Malaysia Airlines since travellers "don't want to take a risk."
A businessman, going to Amsterdam, had cancelled a flight just within hours that news of MH17 spread like bushfire, Chitumbalam shared.
Alicia Seah, a spokeswoman for one of the top three leisure travel agency in Singapore, Dynasty Travel, told Bloomberg that many travellers are now avoiding booking their flights with Malaysia Airlines.
Meanwhile, a traveller from Singapore said that he will not travel with Malaysia Airlines again as the airline proved to be unlucky. He said that MH370 and MH17 tragedies might not be the airline's fault but he would want to still avoid flying with the airline.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Kohl's Black Friday 2014 Online Deals Available Now Until Nov. 28, 2014 Including Free Shipping For Orders Worth $50 And More [WATCH VIDEO]
- BHP Billiton To Turn Olympic Dam Mine To World’s 2nd Largest Copper Mine
- A Bearded Man Is Arresting UberX Drivers Across Sydney
- From Iron Ore To Infant Formula, Gina Rinehart To Build $175M Cancer Hospital In Darwin
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft