Lebron James Choosing Jersey Number 23 in His Cavs Comeback Sparks Debates, NBA Legend Michael Jordan Says He Has No Problems With it
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 31, 2014 4:06 PM EST
Lebron James has already worn the jersey number 23 when he was with the Cleveland Cavaliers. Now that he has returned to play for the Cavs and as if his move has not generated enough controversies, James became the centre of yet another hullabaloo even if it only involved choosing his comeback jersey number.
Miami Heat's (L-R) LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade, Ray Allen and Chris Andersen wait to enter the game against the San Antonio Spurs during the third quarter in Game 5 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas, June 15, 2014.
On July 18, James asked his social media followers what jersey number he should wear on his comeback with the Cavs. He posted a picture of him wearing the jersey numbers 6 and 23. James received a lot of mixed responses. Some of his followers wanted him to wear number 6, while some thought it would be nicer for him to wear number 23.
On July 28, James announced that he would be wearing the jersey number 23.
According to Sports Grid, James is making things "very awkward" citing an interview that James had way back in 2009 when he said that no one in the National Basketball Association (NBA) should wear the same number the Michael Jordan has worn during his NBA days out of respect. He was even quoted saying that he was willing to file a petition so that the NBA will retire the number 23 league-wide.
Jordan, on the other hand, told ESPN that he has no problems with James wearing number 23 in his Cavs comeback.
"I'm cool with it," Jordan said in text message. Jordan added and said that he doesn't own the number anyway.
Below are some of the basketball athletes who have worn the number 23 in the NBA in recent years (Team/Years) as compiled by Bleacher Report.
Marcus Camby (Denver Nuggets/1998-2013)
Metta World Peace (Indiana Pacers/2002-2004)
Mark Aguirre (Detroit Pistons/1988-1992)
Mitch Richmond (Golden State Warriors/1988-1992 and 2001-2002)
Michael Jordan (Chicago Bulls 1984-1993, 1995-1998, and 2001-2003)
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’