Lebron James Choosing Jersey Number 23 in His Cavs Comeback Sparks Debates, NBA Legend Michael Jordan Says He Has No Problems With it
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 31, 2014 4:06 PM EST
Lebron James has already worn the jersey number 23 when he was with the Cleveland Cavaliers. Now that he has returned to play for the Cavs and as if his move has not generated enough controversies, James became the centre of yet another hullabaloo even if it only involved choosing his comeback jersey number.
Miami Heat's (L-R) LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade, Ray Allen and Chris Andersen wait to enter the game against the San Antonio Spurs during the third quarter in Game 5 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas, June 15, 2014.
On July 18, James asked his social media followers what jersey number he should wear on his comeback with the Cavs. He posted a picture of him wearing the jersey numbers 6 and 23. James received a lot of mixed responses. Some of his followers wanted him to wear number 6, while some thought it would be nicer for him to wear number 23.
On July 28, James announced that he would be wearing the jersey number 23.
According to Sports Grid, James is making things "very awkward" citing an interview that James had way back in 2009 when he said that no one in the National Basketball Association (NBA) should wear the same number the Michael Jordan has worn during his NBA days out of respect. He was even quoted saying that he was willing to file a petition so that the NBA will retire the number 23 league-wide.
Jordan, on the other hand, told ESPN that he has no problems with James wearing number 23 in his Cavs comeback.
"I'm cool with it," Jordan said in text message. Jordan added and said that he doesn't own the number anyway.
Below are some of the basketball athletes who have worn the number 23 in the NBA in recent years (Team/Years) as compiled by Bleacher Report.
Marcus Camby (Denver Nuggets/1998-2013)
Metta World Peace (Indiana Pacers/2002-2004)
Mark Aguirre (Detroit Pistons/1988-1992)
Mitch Richmond (Golden State Warriors/1988-1992 and 2001-2002)
Michael Jordan (Chicago Bulls 1984-1993, 1995-1998, and 2001-2003)
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft