Transfer News: Everton Successful in Snatching Chelsea Striker Romelu Lukaku for Unprecedented Fee
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 31, 2014 3:45 PM EST
Everton confirmed that they have successfully snatched Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea.
"Everton Football Club is delighted to announce the permanent transfer of Romelu Lukaku," a report read on the Club's Website.
Everton sign Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea
On one hand, the 21-year-old was facing a battle that he was never meant to win at Stamford Bridge as Blues manager Jose Mourinho was apparently never a fan of the imposing 6-foot-3 forward from the get-go.
On the other hand, Toffees boss Roberto Martinez was such a huge fan of the former Anderlecht standout, who helped the Goodison Park outfit to a fifth-place finish domestically with his 15 goals - tenth in the Premier League - along with 8 assists.
Lukaku joins the Merseysiders for an unprecedented club fee of £28million, while penning a five-year deal, which delighted Martinez, among others.
"The arrival of Rom is more than just a signing, it's the fruition of a lot of hard work to get the player we wanted. This is a big moment for Everton's history and the perfect way of getting the squad ready for the start of the season," said the 41-year-old Spanish national.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up