Transfer News: Everton Successful in Snatching Chelsea Striker Romelu Lukaku for Unprecedented Fee
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 31, 2014 3:45 PM EST
Everton confirmed that they have successfully snatched Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea.
"Everton Football Club is delighted to announce the permanent transfer of Romelu Lukaku," a report read on the Club's Website.
Everton sign Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea
On one hand, the 21-year-old was facing a battle that he was never meant to win at Stamford Bridge as Blues manager Jose Mourinho was apparently never a fan of the imposing 6-foot-3 forward from the get-go.
On the other hand, Toffees boss Roberto Martinez was such a huge fan of the former Anderlecht standout, who helped the Goodison Park outfit to a fifth-place finish domestically with his 15 goals - tenth in the Premier League - along with 8 assists.
Lukaku joins the Merseysiders for an unprecedented club fee of £28million, while penning a five-year deal, which delighted Martinez, among others.
"The arrival of Rom is more than just a signing, it's the fruition of a lot of hard work to get the player we wanted. This is a big moment for Everton's history and the perfect way of getting the squad ready for the start of the season," said the 41-year-old Spanish national.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports