Transfer News: Everton Successful in Snatching Chelsea Striker Romelu Lukaku for Unprecedented Fee
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 31, 2014 3:45 PM EST
Everton confirmed that they have successfully snatched Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea.
"Everton Football Club is delighted to announce the permanent transfer of Romelu Lukaku," a report read on the Club's Website.
Everton sign Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea
On one hand, the 21-year-old was facing a battle that he was never meant to win at Stamford Bridge as Blues manager Jose Mourinho was apparently never a fan of the imposing 6-foot-3 forward from the get-go.
On the other hand, Toffees boss Roberto Martinez was such a huge fan of the former Anderlecht standout, who helped the Goodison Park outfit to a fifth-place finish domestically with his 15 goals - tenth in the Premier League - along with 8 assists.
Lukaku joins the Merseysiders for an unprecedented club fee of £28million, while penning a five-year deal, which delighted Martinez, among others.
"The arrival of Rom is more than just a signing, it's the fruition of a lot of hard work to get the player we wanted. This is a big moment for Everton's history and the perfect way of getting the squad ready for the start of the season," said the 41-year-old Spanish national.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier