Aussie Radio Presenter Kyle Sandilands Under Fire After ‘Fat-Shaming’ Pregnant Mothers [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | July 31, 2014 1:27 PM EST
Shock jock Kyle Sandilands has apparently fat-shamed pregnant women. The portly KIIS FM radio presenter gave an advice to mothers who have just given birth, saying they should start working on the treadmill.
In the promotional video “Random Acts of Kindness,” Sandilands teaches viewers how to arrange flowers for new mums. He started picking random blooms, hoping to arrange them into a beautiful bouquet.
In the end, his flowers are left unarranged at the far side of the table while other bouquets are displayed. It was a valiant effort, though, and would have turned beautiful if finished.
However, it wasn’t his flower-arranging skill that was in question. It was the “advice” he gave new mothers that is deemed offensive.
“There you go mum. You’ve got some flowers, had a baby, what else do you want? Now what you better do is three years on the treadmill to get that pre-baby body back in shape,” Sandilands told the viewers.
“Let’s face it, most of you are going to fail at that, but good luck trying. Because life is about trying, not about being thin. Although thin is better, trying is good.”
Reactions on social media are largely negative, with people pointing out that Sandilands himself is far from being thin.
When fat people like @kingkyle lecture overweight people,it just draws attention to their own obesity.No one is harsher than the overweight.
— Melanie Tee (@sydneygrrl) July 30, 2014
@kingkyle You're gonna call mothers who just had a baby fat? You could do with losing a kilo or thirty you disgusting pig, shut the fuck up! — Annalise (@Annabananabum) July 30, 2014
@kingkyle so tell me "KING" (sic) Kyle. If new mother's need to lose weight after birth, how many months along are you? 25 yrs over due?
— Kiara Hartley (@klhartley90) July 30, 2014
This isn’t the first time Sandilands has criticised others for their weight.
In 2009, he was suspended for two weeks from his then-station 2Day FM after her remarks about Australian TV host Magda Szubanski. He said that she should be put in a “concentration camp and you watch the weight fall off ... like she could be skinny.”
In 2011, he also called News Limited jounarlist Alison Stephenson a “fat slag,” which led to several advertisers pulling out from the entire Southern Cross Austereo network.
Earlier in July, Sandilands pissed off celebrity Cameron Diaz after he slammed her best friend and “Charlie’s Angels” co-star Drew Barrymore on air.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows