Aussie Radio Presenter Kyle Sandilands Under Fire After ‘Fat-Shaming’ Pregnant Mothers [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | July 31, 2014 1:27 PM EST
Shock jock Kyle Sandilands has apparently fat-shamed pregnant women. The portly KIIS FM radio presenter gave an advice to mothers who have just given birth, saying they should start working on the treadmill.
In the promotional video “Random Acts of Kindness,” Sandilands teaches viewers how to arrange flowers for new mums. He started picking random blooms, hoping to arrange them into a beautiful bouquet.
In the end, his flowers are left unarranged at the far side of the table while other bouquets are displayed. It was a valiant effort, though, and would have turned beautiful if finished.
However, it wasn’t his flower-arranging skill that was in question. It was the “advice” he gave new mothers that is deemed offensive.
“There you go mum. You’ve got some flowers, had a baby, what else do you want? Now what you better do is three years on the treadmill to get that pre-baby body back in shape,” Sandilands told the viewers.
“Let’s face it, most of you are going to fail at that, but good luck trying. Because life is about trying, not about being thin. Although thin is better, trying is good.”
Reactions on social media are largely negative, with people pointing out that Sandilands himself is far from being thin.
When fat people like @kingkyle lecture overweight people,it just draws attention to their own obesity.No one is harsher than the overweight.
— Melanie Tee (@sydneygrrl) July 30, 2014
@kingkyle You're gonna call mothers who just had a baby fat? You could do with losing a kilo or thirty you disgusting pig, shut the fuck up! — Annalise (@Annabananabum) July 30, 2014
@kingkyle so tell me "KING" (sic) Kyle. If new mother's need to lose weight after birth, how many months along are you? 25 yrs over due?
— Kiara Hartley (@klhartley90) July 30, 2014
This isn’t the first time Sandilands has criticised others for their weight.
In 2009, he was suspended for two weeks from his then-station 2Day FM after her remarks about Australian TV host Magda Szubanski. He said that she should be put in a “concentration camp and you watch the weight fall off ... like she could be skinny.”
In 2011, he also called News Limited jounarlist Alison Stephenson a “fat slag,” which led to several advertisers pulling out from the entire Southern Cross Austereo network.
Earlier in July, Sandilands pissed off celebrity Cameron Diaz after he slammed her best friend and “Charlie’s Angels” co-star Drew Barrymore on air.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles