Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
By Annie Dee | July 31, 2014 12:40 PM EST
Zac Efron equated getting drunk and having fun as a social lubricant. This is why he realized he needed to check into rehab last year. Everyone was surprised he did it himself quietly last year, and now he's telling people why.
Zac Efron poses after he threw off his shirt as he accepts the award for best shirtless performance for "That Awkward Moment" as presenters Rita Ora and Jessica Alba (2nd R) look on at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, California April 13, 2014. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
In a clip for the show "Running Wild with Bear Grylls," he shared that "The challenging part was never the work, you know, that was never it. It's sort of the in between."
"The social aspects outside of it, I mean everywhere you go to a certain extent, there is press of some form. I mean whether you're going out to an event, where you're supposed to be out with friends, there will be press there, if you are leaving your house to go to the grocery store, there will be press there."
He shared that he spent too much time hiding from the press that at some point he'll go crazy if he was not able to go out and get some "social lubricant," the term he gives to booze and partying.
He added, "It was getting to the point where I was caring less about the work and waiting more for the weekend you know what I mean, where I couldn't wait to go out. You know, and sort of let loose and have fun.
But then, the "good effects" of his fun weekend get shorter and shorter until he would not be able to last through Monday or Tuesday without any difficulty. That is when he realized things are really bad for him and he needs to go to rehab. He shared that he never wanted to take anything or do anything anymore just to feel good on the outside, even though he's crumbling inside. His exact words were, "I just really never again want to have to take anything from the outside into me, to make me feel good about my outside."
Now on the road to recovery, Zac has been receiving support from Michelle Rodriguez. Eventhough just fresh from her fling with Brit model Cara Delevingne, many was shocked to see them locking lips as they vacationed in Sardinia earlier this month.
Before Michelle Rodriguez came into the picture though, Zac already had a very strong support system comprised of Lea Michele, who lost her boyfriend, Cory Monteith to drugs. After Cory died, Lea has become a staunch supporter of Zac's becoming clean and sober.
"After he died, Lea became a sober support for Zac. She'd even invite him on hikes through Runyon Canyon. But lately, Zac's been standing her up," Hollywood Life reported. "She's deeply worried that Zac is teetering on the brink of tragedy."
"Lea wants Zac to get into a hard-core rehab program and publicly come clean about relapsing," Hollywood Life added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet