Kevin Smith Says Jennifer Garner Ended His Friendship with Ben Affleck
By Anne Lu | July 31, 2014 12:03 PM EST
Kevin Smith’s friendship with Ben Affleck ended when the new Batman married Jennifer Garner.
When asked by Yahoo Movies on Friday if the film “Batman v Superman: Daw on Justice” would be making a surprise appearance at the Comic Con, Smith said he didn’t even know if Affleck, who is set to play Batman in the upcoming film, was in town.
Director Ben Affleck holds his best picture award for his film "Argo" at the 2013 Vanity Fair Oscars Party in West Hollywood, California in this file photo taken February 25, 2013. Affleck was banned earlier this week from playing blackjack at the Hard Rock casino in Las Vegas because he was "too good," a source close to the Oscar-winner said on Friday.
“Great question,” the filmmaker replied. “I don’t know because we’re not f------- tight. I have not been [close with him] in decades.”
Affleck starred in a few ‘90s films directed by Smith, namely, “Mallrats,” “Chasing Amy” and “Dogma.” However, their friendship apparently waned when Affleck married the “Alias” star in 2005.
“That’s old Ben. He’s got a wife that don’t [sic] care for me at all,” Smith laughed. “And plus, honestly, he probably don’t [sic] care for me at all anymore [either]. He’s a triple-A-list movie star and s--- like that.
“If he’s Jimmy Carter, I’m Billy Carter, to put it ‘70s terms. And I’m not even related and s---,” he said, referring to the former U.S. president and his younger brother.
Smith’s rep told eonline.com that he was just kidding about not being friends with Affleck anymore, saying that it was “simply a joke and taken completely out of context.”
However, in 2009, Smith has revealed that Garner didn’t like his jokes.
“Jennifer does not share the same sense of humour as me,” he was quoted by the NY Daily News as saying. “She did not like my jokes.”
He explained, “I was picking on Ben Affleck and making fun of him because I’ve known him for a really long time – I was talking smack – and Jennifer goes, ‘You know, if you keep saying stuff about him, I’m going to kick your a--.’ And she could – I’ve seen ‘Alias.’ She has a really girly sense of humour and didn’t understand that I was kidding.”
Smith isn’t the only victim of Affleck and Garner’s wedding.
Mark Ruffalo told “Watch What Happens Live!” host Andy Cohen that he used to be friends with Garner, his love interest in the film “30 Going on 30.” But all that changed since she dated Affleck.
“We had a great time together, and I think we would, but then Ben came on the scene and that was the end of that,” he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family