Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini Release Date Slated For Aug. 7 in the UK
By Pavithra Rathinavel | July 31, 2014 10:11 AM EST
Samsung has been releasing a slew of devices this year with the Galaxy S5, Galaxy K Zoom, Galaxy Tab S, Galaxy S5 Mini and Galaxy Tab Q leading the way. However, the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini saw only a limited release in July. Nonetheless, the compact device will hit the store shelves in the UK on Aug. 7.
Students walk out of Samsung Electronics' headquarters in Seoul July 7, 2014. Samsung Electronics Co Ltd on Tuesday said operating profit likely fell 24.5 percent in April-June, its lowest in two years due to slowing growth in the company's cash cow smartphone business and the strength of the South Korean won.
The Galaxy S5 Mini is already available in Russia and Germany. With Britain as the new destination, the handset can be expected to make a landfall in many other regions shortly. Potential buyers can purchase the Galaxy S5 Mini from Samsung's official online store and also from the retailers like Phones 4u. Moreover, the handset can be availed in gold, blue, black and white colour choices, according to GSM Arena.
When it comes to price, the Samsung handset can be purchased for £389.95 without a contract. It is worth noting that, the Galaxy S5 Mini retails for €380 in Germany. Therefore, the device is very pricey in the UK market.
When it comes to specifications and features, the Galaxy S5 Mini comes with a 4.5-inch Super AMOLED display bundled with 720 x 1,280 pixels screen resolution and 326 ppi pixel density. The smartphone sports the same perforated plastic rear of the Galaxy S5. In addition, there is a glossy but fake metal band along the corners. Also, the handset comes protected with Corning Gorilla Glass 3.
The thickness and the weight of Galaxy S5 Mini are 0.36 inches and 120 g respectively. The Galaxy S5 Mini is powered by a quad-core (Exynos 3 Quad chipset) Cortex-A7 processor, clocked at 1.4 GHz. When it comes to memory, the handset houses a relatively better 1.5 GB of RAM and 16 GB of internal storage capacity with microSD card support for expansion up to 64 GB.
Furthermore, the phone runs on Android OS v4.4.2 KitKat (upgradable to higher versions) along with Samsung's TouchWiz UI. The device houses an 8 MP primary camera with LED flash and a 2.1 MP secondary shooter unit. Also, the Galaxy S5 Mini comes equipped with Li-Ion 2100 mAh (user-replaceable) battery unit.
Along with the standard connectivity options like Bluetooth v4.0, Wi-Fi, LTE, microUSB slots, the device also supports NFC. Additionally, the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini handset features water and dust proof exterior. Hence the device is IP67 certified.
Similar to the 2014 flagship Galaxy S5, the compact device features fingerprint scanner and heart-rate monitor. In addition, the smartphone sports Ultra Power Saving Mode, Kids Mode, Private Mode, and KNOX among others.
1. HTC One E8 (Dual-Sim) vs. HTC Desire 816 (Dual-Sim) - Specifications, Features and Price Showdown - [Read]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build