NFL News: Patrick Peterson Inks Record $70M Five-Year Deal with Arizona Cardinals
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 31, 2014 10:01 AM EST
The Arizona Cardinals just made Patrick Peterson the highest paid cornerback in the history of the NFL.
According to ESPN, Peterson and the Cardinals agreed on a five-year contract extension for the talented cornerback worth $70 million, $48 million of which is full guaranteed. The athletic player is the first of his 2011 draft class to receive an extension and take advantage of the new provision in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
A three-time Pro Bowler and a two-time All-Pro, Peterson made the league take notice during his rookie seasons when he was first designated as a punt returner and completed an incredible record of four touchdowns. At this stage of his young career, he has already amassed a total of 12 interceptions with only two other players in the NFL surpassing his total in Richard Sherman and Tim Jennings.
He was Mr. Do-It-All for Arizona last year becoming the only player since to both record a reception and a completion since 1970. He was the integral in the offense, defense and special teams though his team has not yet sniffed the playoffs in the three seasons that he has been with the club. His coach Brian Arians meanwhile declared that he will no longer be using his prized cornerback on offense anymore but will relegate him to defense and return punts.
Peterson devoted a lot of time in the off-season to study the opposing team's receivers, he bared. He also concentrated on the team's offensive plays, given that he was pulled out to be a part of the offense from time to time. Cardinals mentor Arians said that there were some instances last season when he found it difficult to put Peterson on the sidelines during offensive plays, given his massive talent.
"It wasn't hard, but it was just difficult, so now to finally get an opportunity just to play cornerback, it's just going to make my job that much easier," Peterson said Sunday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?