NFL News: Patrick Peterson Inks Record $70M Five-Year Deal with Arizona Cardinals
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 31, 2014 10:01 AM EST
The Arizona Cardinals just made Patrick Peterson the highest paid cornerback in the history of the NFL.
According to ESPN, Peterson and the Cardinals agreed on a five-year contract extension for the talented cornerback worth $70 million, $48 million of which is full guaranteed. The athletic player is the first of his 2011 draft class to receive an extension and take advantage of the new provision in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
A three-time Pro Bowler and a two-time All-Pro, Peterson made the league take notice during his rookie seasons when he was first designated as a punt returner and completed an incredible record of four touchdowns. At this stage of his young career, he has already amassed a total of 12 interceptions with only two other players in the NFL surpassing his total in Richard Sherman and Tim Jennings.
He was Mr. Do-It-All for Arizona last year becoming the only player since to both record a reception and a completion since 1970. He was the integral in the offense, defense and special teams though his team has not yet sniffed the playoffs in the three seasons that he has been with the club. His coach Brian Arians meanwhile declared that he will no longer be using his prized cornerback on offense anymore but will relegate him to defense and return punts.
Peterson devoted a lot of time in the off-season to study the opposing team's receivers, he bared. He also concentrated on the team's offensive plays, given that he was pulled out to be a part of the offense from time to time. Cardinals mentor Arians said that there were some instances last season when he found it difficult to put Peterson on the sidelines during offensive plays, given his massive talent.
"It wasn't hard, but it was just difficult, so now to finally get an opportunity just to play cornerback, it's just going to make my job that much easier," Peterson said Sunday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft