NFL News: Patrick Peterson Inks Record $70M Five-Year Deal with Arizona Cardinals
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 31, 2014 10:01 AM EST
The Arizona Cardinals just made Patrick Peterson the highest paid cornerback in the history of the NFL.
According to ESPN, Peterson and the Cardinals agreed on a five-year contract extension for the talented cornerback worth $70 million, $48 million of which is full guaranteed. The athletic player is the first of his 2011 draft class to receive an extension and take advantage of the new provision in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
A three-time Pro Bowler and a two-time All-Pro, Peterson made the league take notice during his rookie seasons when he was first designated as a punt returner and completed an incredible record of four touchdowns. At this stage of his young career, he has already amassed a total of 12 interceptions with only two other players in the NFL surpassing his total in Richard Sherman and Tim Jennings.
He was Mr. Do-It-All for Arizona last year becoming the only player since to both record a reception and a completion since 1970. He was the integral in the offense, defense and special teams though his team has not yet sniffed the playoffs in the three seasons that he has been with the club. His coach Brian Arians meanwhile declared that he will no longer be using his prized cornerback on offense anymore but will relegate him to defense and return punts.
Peterson devoted a lot of time in the off-season to study the opposing team's receivers, he bared. He also concentrated on the team's offensive plays, given that he was pulled out to be a part of the offense from time to time. Cardinals mentor Arians said that there were some instances last season when he found it difficult to put Peterson on the sidelines during offensive plays, given his massive talent.
"It wasn't hard, but it was just difficult, so now to finally get an opportunity just to play cornerback, it's just going to make my job that much easier," Peterson said Sunday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2